Living on the edge!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdoc

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
You know what they say about a swarm in July, well this was no exception. Got a call from the local council about a 'large' swarm on a sea wall. When we got there all we had to collect was three small bundles of bees clinging to the wall.
Not much good at all, but a good PR opportunity to spread the word. We shook them onto a sheet in front of a nuc back at the quarantine apiary and they all dutifully marched in, but no sign of the queen. Tow hours later, the beach inspector called again to say there were the same number further up the beach. again collected and dumped in nuc. I expect it was all a waste of time, but still good fun. Never expected to collect a swarm from a beach!

You look very professional - afraid we have collected 3 July swarms - one being enormous!

Well done!!

must say im suprised too, a beach....
Queens, I've only collected 2 this July but phone has been off for 2 weeks, now cant find it! Collected 6 last July.

I was once called to a swarm on a boat out in C8nwy harbour. A silly place for bees to settle, but we got them back to dry land OK.

Whats in the box? Oh, where to start. I guess top of the list is waspeze and my bottle of sanity pills laced with propolis for getting involved in such a crazy hobby!

I could well have done with those bottles of inspiration after dealing with errant kids and their disconnected mums. It was amazing how they would actually lift the tape the council put around the bees and completely ignore the signs about the bees. Even when I was suited up, they would just wander past oblivious of the cloud of bees around my head. Even a warning shout made little difference. The combination of sun and sand seemed to make them unplug from reality. We were lucky not more people did not get stung.

Latest posts

Back