Lively bunch

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wondering if they were hanging on in there and then pow. The girls have completely ignored social distancing and bubbles!
View attachment 24146
I like the poly carb as a little roof to help with the rain.
You didn't pinch the idea did you;)
IMG_20210124_133002.jpg

Haha great minds think alike. My hives face south and we had some pretty strong wind and rain coming thru from that direction so picked anything I had floating around the garden to help protect them from the rain. Good idea so I think I’ll keep it.
Cheers.

Haha great minds think alike. My hives face south and we had some pretty strong wind and rain coming thru from that direction so picked anything I had floating around the garden to help protect them from the rain. Good idea so I think I’ll keep it.
Cheers.

I wonder if there is any more beeks doing it?
I leave mine on all year even in the summer.
Some of our roofs are made with 6x1 gravel boards and polycarb is used instead of wood as the lid. No tin! ( less heat)
I then use 100mm thick insulation inside of the roof.
The extra poly carb is then used as the picture shows.

Ow I forgot, the roofs are 500mm x 500mm
I like the extra over hand you don't get so much water dripping down the sides of the hives.

Ps poly carb is 1cm thick.

I wonder if there is any more beeks doing it?
I leave mine on all year even in the summer.

Some of our roofs are made with 6x1 gravel boards and polycarb is used instead of wood as the lid. No tin! ( less heat)
I then use 100mm thick insulation inside of the roof.
The extra poly carb is then used as the picture shows.

Ow I forgot, the roofs are 500mm x 500mm
I like the extra over hand you don't get so much water dripping down the sides of the hives.

Ps poly carb is 1cm thick.

All my mini nucs have additional roofs.

Rain and snow wet hive walls. Wind then evaporates the liquid: a perfect cooling effect.

Attachments

• IMG_0689.JPG
    IMG_0689.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
All my mini nucs have additional roofs.

Rain and snow wet hive walls. Wind then evaporates the liquid: a perfect cooling effect.
I see your hives are slightly tilted. I’ve just done this to one of mine were there was a lot of water on the floor, which I presume to be condensation. Hopefully this will encourage any water to dribble down the side walls rather on any cluster of bees?

I see your hives are slightly tilted. I’ve just done this to one of mine were there was a lot of water on the floor, which I presume to be condensation. Hopefully this will encourage any water to dribble down the side walls rather on any cluster of bees?
Yep

Back