Live Wire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
A half-share in 6...ish
It's not often I consider myself Mr Fixit, but I'm fairly proud of this

First you wreck your veil by putting it through a washing machine. This breaks the solder between the 2 ends of the hoop, which then contracts every time you wear it - eventually resulting in the veil flopping over your ears and the bees stinging the end of your nose

So you unpick the stitches and try various ruses to get the metal to lodge in the material and stay reasonably taut - all of which slowly makes things worse

Then you look at buying a replacement in the T*****s catalogue, check the price and think :eek::eek:

Finally, sleepless at 2 am, a wild idea comes to you. Next day, you trot off to the hardware store in Chipping Norton (where I guess they are well used to dealing with the half-crazed) and, after rejecting various clamps, plates, bolts and chain-links, you ask it they have any kind of large electrical connector. They show you this; the sun comes out, an orchestra starts playing and the rest is just loose ends...

10153750_10202348767893532_562327843_n.jpg

For a spare suit I got a hood off of e bay for £5.95 + postage from one of the regular bee suit sellers on there. The hood simply zipped on in place of the old one. Not premium but great as another spare suit. The original suit was a Thornes one from their sale.
Genius solution though.

Plays hell with the fabric :)
VM
:smilielol5:

You can actually buy a new ring, but that means unpicking the stitches all the way around and sewing it up again. The fact they are for sale suggests some people really think life is long enough to do that! :conehead:

I researched buying a whole new suit, with Darth Vader veil, but it's the thought of discarding something that is basically OK that rankles. I may still get the new suit and keep this as a conversation piece on BKA apiary visits

Not sure what the diameter is of the bit that has broken but a would a piece of tube hold the broken ends together.... bit of brake pipe of similar?

You can actually buy a new ring, but that means unpicking the stitches all the way around and sewing it up again. The fact they are for sale suggests some people really think life is long enough to do that! :conehead:

Aaah. I can't use a sewing machine either ...

The wire on my suit is fine... but the veil has holes. I am fairly sure that one was caused by a maddened guard bee biting through it, but she may have just spotted a weakness. (She was outside the veil for a couple of minutes letting out an insane buzz, then her head was trapped in the veil. Then she went off to 2D land.)

Does anyone know a good source of veil material? or do you just repurpose the net curtains?
That's actually a serious question!

The wire on my suit is fine... but the veil has holes. I am fairly sure that one was caused by a maddened guard bee biting through it, but she may have just spotted a weakness. (She was outside the veil for a couple of minutes letting out an insane buzz, then her head was trapped in the veil. Then she went off to 2D land.)

Does anyone know a good source of veil material? or do you just repurpose the net curtains?
That's actually a serious question!

Brian Sheriff
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheap glue gun works well too !!!

Latest posts

Back