Listen with Martha

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obliviously does not know what he is talking about, "they go sulky and let the brood die", bo----ks, but each to his own.

Would like to see Murray's reaction to this program.

Why is it a duplicate?
Perhaps the Mods should move and delete any post that could be considered to be a duplicate onto a sticky thread.. ie a dozen or so simple headings..

I suppose it would suit those who have a very ordered "modus opperandi*".... instead of the virtual chaos that some chose to have?
Chons da

* I do not do latin... whent to a slumm cleerence scool!:calmdown:

It's a duplicate because its exactly the same topic as the first.

Did you state in another post (can not be arsed to look for it) that you were a member of a forum that had very few posts?

No surprise there then!!

Chons da

Did you state in another post (can not be arsed to look for it) that you were a member of a forum that had very few posts?

No surprise there then!!

Chons da

Grow up.
I was a member of the VSH Breeders forum before I joined this one. Not many posts but the people on that forum were intimately involved in VSH breeding

Would like to see Murray's reaction to this program.

Put something on the other thread.

Truth is that a tiny item like this is not worth even worrying about although it merits some degree of rebuttal. Their bunfight a year or more back at the Eden project generated far more publicity and had zero effect. The idea of engaging on it HAS been discussed and a decision made not to even bother as this is a 'nothing' story.

Sometimes the best strategy is just to put the other view out there, and leave it at that. Arguing gives them a sense of importance and righteousness that is out of proportion to the actual significance. Let them have their reserves...most of them are not places where the mainstream want to place bees anyway so the prospect of us swamping them is largely a straw man.

One of my Canadian friends signature file included the sage words...'never mud wrestle with a pig....you cant win, and besides...the pig enjoys it'.

He started using it at the height of the small cell frenzy....but it applies equally well to other bee arguments where its more about belief than fact.

I think they are doing a great job at attracting new beeks in Cornwall. The number of enquiries from 2nd or 3rd year disillusioned beeks now looking for my bees has increased no end....no guessing why?
S

Would also add...to those who state the coverage was unbalanced....that this was a part of a series of bites about bees and their role that have been going on for over two weeks, with something most days.

I cannot grumble about uneven coverage...and was one of the interviewees a few days earlier conducted at our breeding unit. Did not get flak for that being unbalanced.

I doubt that balance is possible in the 2 or 3 minutes snippets, you have to look at it in the round, and I think...but did not hear many of the parts, that it probably balanced out pretty well over the couple of weeks it was going on.

and to Stiffy...

You would probably not be amazed to learn that the number of these 'ill adapted' bees being ordered from our unit is rocketing. Orders already in hand for 2019 is close to the level actually sold in 2018 and four times the numbers on the same dat a year ago. BIG boom in demand from the West Country and Wales especially. For Cornwall its mostly queens raised from our stock up here, Devon its a bit of both, Wales its almost all packages with either our own lines or Buckfast queens. For bees that 'just keel over and die' (which is just a lie anyway) they are astonishingly popular with serious players...and they are not for the most part replacing losses...these people are replacing what in their own words are duff local stock.

Never had one of Hivemakers lines up here to test (though would like to) but they have a great reputation in the south. I thought he was a Buckfast man...but I MUST be wrong, as apparently those who know say only local Amm is any good down there.

FWIW.....I do not have a closed mind about Amm......and have fresh set of trials set up with bought in queens from breeders of repute all ready to go for it from spring 2019. Early portents are so so.............they look healthy and most have built well for winter, but they are runnier and nippier than needed to score well with us on temperament, and chalk brood is also present at levels that would exclude a line from our in house programme. The biggy is of course honey production and we will not fully know about that until late next summer, post heather.

The more reserves the better when it comes to indigenous species.

Indeed, I cannot fathom why all lovers of bees wouldnt wholeheartedly agree.

Been there...tried them. Wouldn't do that again!

AMM bees are superb survivors, docile and prolific they are not, neither are they good honey producers and I speak from experience. If some people wish to keep them, that is their prerogative and good luck to them. All AMM bees, have varying degrees of impurity and it is this which accounts for the improvements that we sometimes see.

AMM bees are superb survivors, docile and prolific they are not, neither are they good honey producers and I speak from experience. If some people wish to keep them, that is their prerogative and good luck to them. All AMM bees, have varying degrees of impurity and it is this which accounts for the improvements that we sometimes see.
This post is full of nonsense generalisation.

Italian bees and Carniolans are kept on Polar Circle in Finland.

AMM has nothing special as survivor. In every country it needs special operations that it does not vanish.

Swarming and small colonies is one survivor feature, but so do Carniolan.

But varroa kills all bee colonies. Difficult to speak about survivors. Before varroa era AMM was a nuisance and too good survivor. Its drones were everywhere.

Last edited:
If AMM are adapted, it is to the Maritime temperate climate as experienced in tree hollows.
This very very different to that experienced in wooden or even polystyrene hives.
The differences in man made environments e.g. wood vs polystyrene might dominate the subspecies adaptations.

and to Stiffy...

You would probably not be amazed to learn that the number of these 'ill adapted' bees being ordered from our unit is rocketing. Orders already in hand for 2019 is close to the level actually sold in 2018 and four times the numbers on the same dat a year ago. BIG boom in demand from the West Country and Wales especially. For Cornwall its mostly queens raised from our stock up here, Devon its a bit of both, Wales its almost all packages with either our own lines or Buckfast queens. For bees that 'just keel over and die' (which is just a lie anyway) they are astonishingly popular with serious players...and they are not for the most part replacing losses...these people are replacing what in their own words are duff local stock.

Never had one of Hivemakers lines up here to test (though would like to) but they have a great reputation in the south. I thought he was a Buckfast man...but I MUST be wrong, as apparently those who know say only local Amm is any good down there.

FWIW.....I do not have a closed mind about Amm.......

I also don’t have a closed mind about AMM and have had several attempts with them but always open to try them in the future . It doesn’t surprise me you are getting lots of orders in Cornwall, Murray.
I have never really pushed selling colonies but have had quite a few beeks asking so I am now going took at raising a few more nucs next year. I also had someone who knows really there stuff look through a few hives with me and commented that my bees were well above average. They also commented that some nucs being sold locally were definitely not up to scratch.
S

The differences in man made environments e.g. wood vs polystyrene might dominate the subspecies adaptations.

IT is more beekeeper's selection than bees' adaptation. A beekeeper does not give a opprtunity to adapt, if the colony is not ready to live in that environment.

Environment is quite constant in each place. Why the colony should adapt to an old environment every year?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back