list of first stings 2012

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Through the clothes isn't a full sting a it gets pulled out by your clothes. A full sting is when the bee dies leaving the sting in your skin. It pumps more and more irritant in. Then you will know you have been stung!!!

:nature-smiley-016: that explanes alot think i will get some antihistamiens reddy for my next visit to the apery thank you:nature-smiley-011:

Wish i had foundt this bulletin board before buying my fencing style suit from a reasonably well known supplier. Discovered how the blighters got in. Three slits in different parts of the "veil", all about an inch long.
This suit is barely nine months old and although the main bit has been in the wash, the head guard has not. It is clear that the netting is inferior when compared to my wife's suit and i am a bit pee'd off.
I shall be ringing them wednesday.
Cocked up my apiary inspection and ruined my day.
Be warned....check your veils, especially the fencing style which seem to concertina and fail on the creases.
Also, buy a suit from a good manufaturer
Mea culpa.

Wish i had foundt this bulletin board before buying my fencing style suit from a reasonably well known supplier. Discovered how the blighters got in. Three slits in different parts of the "veil", all about an inch long.
This suit is barely nine months old and although the main bit has been in the wash, the head guard has not. It is clear that the netting is inferior when compared to my wife's suit and i am a bit pee'd off.
I shall be ringing them wednesday.
Cocked up my apiary inspection and ruined my day.
Be warned....check your veils, especially the fencing style which seem to concertina and fail on the creases.
Also, buy a suit from a good manufaturer
Mea culpa.
I would contact them and ask for a replacement veil, it shouldnt have failed so quickly. After all for a large part of the nine months you wouldnt have been wearing it!
S

First one for me this year was between my thighs a few weeks back. It was through my trousers but WAY too close for comfort:eek:

Stiffy ... Yes thanks i intend to.
Wiped me out yeterday, but still unsure whether it was the piriton or the sting to the neck.
Trying to avoid the piriton as i am not sure how much difference it actually makes apart from dry mouth and drowsiness. Its hard not to take it when you see your eyes blow up and feel the itching coming on.

Last Tuesday (29th), didn't have the straps tight enough on a hive we were moving - base slipped just enough for a load of the ladies to come out and express their displeasure (and give me a reminder to always close my hood up when around them). One on the ear, one on the chin, one on the back of the head and one on the finger, all of whick swelled up like crazy and left me looking like Shrek for days... :rolleyes:

Stiffy ... Yes thanks i intend to.
Wiped me out yeterday, but still unsure whether it was the piriton or the sting to the neck.
Trying to avoid the piriton as i am not sure how much difference it actually makes apart from dry mouth and drowsiness. Its hard not to take it when you see your eyes blow up and feel the itching coming on.

Piriton can make you very sleepy.

mine was through my glove, my ring finger, strangely I was so full of adrenaline due to meeting my step daughter later in the day I had no reaction until Sunday morning!

Mowing the lawn a couple of days ago. I have 2 hives, my original colony in a WBC and a swarm from them with the original queen in a national. The WBC have been bad temperes since the swarm a couple of weeks ago.
I waited until late and there ware no more comings & goings from the hives. Managed to mow all round the Nat, even knocked it with no problems, then went near the WBC, Loads shot out & I beat a hasty retreat to the garage where I found one had followed me in. Got me just below the elbow.
I really should put the suit on when mowing round the hives.

Ouch - stung on ring finger while opening/closing snelgrove board flaps - sting immediately removed but now half the back of my hand is swollen and itchy! Wear gloves even when doing simple things is the lesson here!

R2

I know it's really awful but I'm laughing as I read these! LOL Soooo funny - does that make me a bad person? LOL At least, experienced beekeepers are not, you are not too proud to admit you did something stupid sometimes LOL

Stung on the forearm a few weeks ago through my bee suit and long sleeved top. Today stung on the joint of my thumb through my new purple plastic gloves - got the sting out straight away so hoping for less of a reaction than last time where I bruised to my elbow!!

I transfered a nuc to a brood box today, my very first time. The colony are very docile so I didnt smoke and didnt wear gloves. Things were going great till Islotted the very last frame into position then one bee stung me on the inside of the thumb.

The worst bit is seeing it happen and your brain registering whats coming that split second before it does whilst also knowing you are holding a full frame of brood so cannot react.

Latest posts

Back