liquid glucose

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchbees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Thought I would be ready to make fondant as you don't seem to be able to buy it in France.
I have found liquid glucose but it contains sulphites (E223) as a preservative. Would this be ok?

By the time the concentration is only one tenth (or maybe less?) and the resultant solution has been brought up to boiling point I would suspect that most, by then, would be as a trace of sulphate?

RAB

Frenchbees,

Have you tried your local Pharmacy? Mine sells 500g tubs of powdered glucose which keeps for ever and works as well as liquid in fondant making.

Rgds Mike

Frenchbees,

Have you tried your local Pharmacy? Mine sells 500g tubs of powdered glucose which keeps for ever and works as well as liquid in fondant making.

Rgds Mike

If it keeps forever, could it have sulphites in it? After all, that is why they are used.

Thought I would be ready to make fondant as you don't seem to be able to buy it in France.
I have found liquid glucose but it contains sulphites (E223) as a preservative. Would this be ok?

It will be fine with the addition of a minor precaution. Heat the glucose syrup to about 60'C and agitate / stir aggressively for a couple of minutes before use. The sulphite will blow off as sulphur dioxide (the active form of the preservative). All you'll be left with is a smidgeon of residual potassium or sodium salts that'll do no harm at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBee
Frenchbees,

Rgds Mike

If it keeps forever, could it have sulphites in it? After all, that is why they are used.

No, it's fine, low water activity (dry powder) is why it does not spoil so no SO2 issue

Sulphites are only used as a preservative in liquids. To stop bugs growing. Your sugar for your tea does not have any preservatives and no 'best before' date either.

What was interesting is that Tate & Lyle actually 'produce' cane sugar in England! Amazing! Simple packaging should not allow them to say produced, surely!

Regards, RAB

Simple packaging should not allow them to say produced, surely!

If it says "Product of", yes they can even if they have imported it and done something to it.. Not too sure about "Produced"

You can import fresh (dead) chickens, cook them and say they are a product of the UK.

You can take imported stuff out of packets, put salt on it and it becomes "Product of UK"
There's not a lot that you eat here that isnt imported.

Last edited:
What was interesting is that Tate & Lyle actually 'produce' cane sugar in England! Amazing! Simple packaging should not allow them to say produced, surely!
Regards, RAB

British Sugar are doing feasibility studies (mostly transport) at the moment, and should be importing raw(liquid) cane sugar for final processing at Cantley sugar beet factory (Oldest sugar beet factory in UK) in the next couple of years

By the time the concentration is only one tenth (or maybe less?) and the resultant solution has been brought up to boiling point I would suspect that most, by then, would be as a trace of sulphate?

RAB

Frenchbees,

Rgds Mike

Thanks Mike, I will try the pharmacy, I could only find 1kg tubs online in France, which is far more than I need.

Latest posts

Back