Liquid Glucose

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
Going to start making winter fondant soon and in the past have bought small qauntities of liquid glucose from Tescos but wonder if anyone knows where I can get it in larger amounts?
Cheers
S

One I'm using at the moment is one given by one of our members.

1KG of sugar 250 ml of water.

Dissolve sugar in a saucepan with the water over a light gas flame.

Stir continuously.

Bring to the boil, (it will go clear) for one minute

Take off the gas, and place the solution, still in the pan, in a bowl of cold water (I use the kitchen sink)

Stir until it starts to set (it will go silver grey)

Pour into an empty ice cream container, leave to set.

Put on the lid, and cut a hole in it about 25 mil diameter

Line up the hole with the hole in the crown board and leave them to it.

Carte D'or containers are good, you can see how much is left.

Right about the see-through containers. Deep Chinese take-away are good, too. I simply cover with cling film and fit the lid for storage; slash the film after removing the lid and slide over feed hole. Rectangular are easier for cutting a hole in the roof insulation.....

Regards, RAB

Just found this which may help:
http://www.cake-stuff.com/index.php...earch_in_description=1&keyword=liquid+glucose
Please let me have your recipe for fondant. Thanks.

Hi many thanks for link I will order some within next few weeks.
The fondant receipe I use is from Frisbee on this forum and I find it very good, easy to make and a lot cheaper. Making my own also gives me the opportunity to add 'bits and bobs' if I want, like fructose.

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/archive/index.php/t-82.html

Cheers
S

Surely liquid glucose is just a solution of the solid in water isn't it? I used some of this last winter:

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Gluco...t Match-_-List-_-'Search: All'-_--_--_--_-'4'

As I understand the use of glucose syrup in fondant is to add an ingrediant that stops the final product from going hard. For example icing on buns and in the case of bee fondant to allow them to use it.

The ingrediants I beleive do not all stem from beet or cane sugars: Copied form T'interent:

Glucose syrup is a solution (up to 80%) of glucose (dextrose), maltose and maltodextrins in water. It is normally obtained by enzymatic hydrolysis of starch, which is a polymer of glucose. Starch from wheat, corn, potato or any other plant can be used for this purpose. The origin of the starch does not have to be labelled and can only be provided by the producer. However, due to new EU legislation on allergens, glucose syrup derived from wheat has to be labelled as such.

Glucose syrup is less sweet as normal sugar, but has several technological advantages in the food industry

Cheers
S

Back