lipbalm moisturiser

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newportbuzz

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
19 through the winter
hi anyone got any good recipes for either lipbalm or moisturiser/cream
i know burts bees do a wonderful range and was hoping to make some stuff myself for xmas pressies. but since i have only 1lb of wax i dont want to waste it on untried recipes
ive found a few recipes online but as i said i dont want to risk the wax on untried ones
thanks

too late for christmas but ...

30g beeswax
70g vegetable oil (almond oil, sunflower oil, or other not too srongly flavoured!)
approx 20g cocoa butter

Melt together in microwave or double boiler, adjust cocoa butter to adjust the hardness of the finished product. Pour into pots

Sorry, me again, where do you buy cocoa butter from?

That recipe was lip balm of course.

For a basic skin cream or moisturiser try this one from Eva Crane's book "Bees & Beekeeping"

ingredients ... measured by weight.
Beeswax 18%
Liquid Paraffin 61%
Distilled Water 20%
Borax 1%
Melt the beeswax in the liquid paraffin at about 70°C. Heat the borax and water to the same temperature and use a small domestic electric egg beater to blend the two mixtures together. Remove from the heat and continue mixing until the temperature has dropped to 42°C. The mixture is then poured into suitable containers or jars.

Many thanks for the link, just ordered 1kg from it and will try your lip balm recipe.
Thanks
Tim

Good luck!
Let us know how you get on with the butter and the balm.

Hello BobH1

Can I just thank you for your lip balm recipe. We made some tonight and it is excellent. I always return a favour and I notice that you have 2 hives. If one of your queens fail in the summer and your stuck for a queen, send me a PM and I'll send you one in the post - free of course.
Thanks again
Tim Berni

hand cream

This hand cream is simple but lovely and very effective - without the scented oils it is suitable for the most sensitive skins. Happy lotioning and potioning :)

Beeswax Handcream

80 ml sweet almond oil
10gms beeswax
Drops of scented oil if desired

(Sweet almond and scented oils available at health food stores eg Holland & Barrett)

Melt wax in a bowl over a pan of simmering water. When melted, gently pour in the almond oil, stirring. When the almond oil is combined, remove from pan and keep stirring as it cools. Add any scented oil when the mixture has cooled* but is still liquid.

•if added when the mixture is still hot the scented oil will evaporate.

Back