Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Grub 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 14x12
I should imagine that linseed flowers should be realy good for bees as I know the flower is off a open nauture just like a daisy, light shade of blue and realy dark blue as well depending on the variety , I know they are realy good all rounder for lots if diffrent insects but dont flower for long and set seed realy quickly, the fields look amazing when in full flower.

Grub

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
There's a field of it coming into flower a few miles from me so I did a bit of Google research and concluded it wasn't a valuable source of nectar for honey bees. However, (dramatic pause) if anyone has any direct experience of it please let me know. It isn't too late to take some hives to the field.

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Hivemaker is likely correct. That is what I have believed but some have said 'sometimes'. I used to chuckle when linseed seeds were offered on epay, as a honey bee-friendly flower, but maybe some varieties do give useful amounts of nectar.

Just not come across any yet.

Regards, RAB

Midland Beek 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I think one year my bees maybe did put some linseed nectar on. Not a lot. And the honey was bitter and verging on the unpleasant.

Not sure what it's like for pollen.

MuswellMetro 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
yep, linseed or flaxseed is poor for nectar, i have experianced it at my cousins near pangbourne berkshire...lovely fields of blue flowers..nothing

its becoming more popular due to use as a food seed /breakfast additive and was being put forward as a rotation crop with OSR

OXFORDBEE 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
More than 1, numbers seem to go up and down.
I couldn't find an entry for linseed in the Directory of Important World Honey Sources.. (IBRA 1984).

macow 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Ahh!
Thanks everyone,
Think i will definately give the linseed a miss(Its rare to get such an overwhelming consensus among beeekeepers), shame though loads of it locally.

All the best

Mark

OXFORDBEE 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
commercial
Number of Hives
More than 1, numbers seem to go up and down.
Anything for Flaxseed or common Flax ( Linum usitatissimum) which is the oil feed name for linseed

Linum usitatissimum
is listed. It's a major nectar source in Mozambique and a medium nectar source in Argentina. Nectar secretion is 0.79mg/fl/day and the sugar concentration is medium(25.5% to 49%). Its honey potential is moderate being about 11.9kg per hectare.

MuswellMetro 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12

Linum usitatissimum
is listed. It's a major nectar source in Mozambique and a medium nectar source in Argentina. Nectar secretion is 0.79mg/fl/day and the sugar concentration is medium(25.5% to 49%). Its honey potential is moderate being about 11.9kg per hectare.
Thats good, perhaps they do use it

Latest posts