Linseed and Poppies

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beejedi

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I notice a field of linseed and another of poppies beginning to flower near the apiary but are these crops a good source of nectar ?

I believe Poppies are great for pollen. Linseed I'm not sure but I hope good, as we have some nearby too...along with loads of white clover....yippeee

I believe Poppies are great for pollen. Linseed I'm not sure but I hope good, as we have some nearby too...along with loads of white clover....yippeee

I believe that White Clover is great if temps are over 24c and your ground is damp (i.e the local water table isn't too low).......it performs about every one in four years as a good nectar source.

Thanks WPC, went for a walk past some horse paddocks near me at W/E. The lays were about 40-50% covered in white clover flower, the smell was fabulous and it was buzzing! Here's hoping they were my bees and the honeys going to be fab. Oh they are also working hard on Blackberries.

AMAE

Thanks WPC, went for a walk past some horse paddocks near me at W/E. The lays were about 40-50% covered in white clover flower, the smell was fabulous and it was buzzing! Here's hoping they were my bees and the honeys going to be fab. Oh they are also working hard on Blackberries.

AMAE

Yes good luck with it. We've loads of it in flower around here (it's big dairy cattle/silage country). The Blackberries coming out too, so let's hope the weather stays fine and the temperatures on the higher side!

It looks like the weather is going to stay hot for a while, or at least here down south :)

Linseed is a bit iffy. Not usually worked by the bees. May depend on the type and other factors so you might be lucky but don't count on it.

Regards, RAB

We have lots of opium poppies. Honey and bumble bees love them.. LOTS of black pollen: honeybees come back full of it..

Latest posts

Back