Ling Heather Cut Comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Anyone know what sort of price it fetches this year?

PH

£3.50...£4.00 227g, did sell some, so i'm imformed by the boss, for £4.50.

At the Dundee Flower Show last weekend ling cut comb was going at the rate of 25p per 10g, so 225g would have been £5.62. It flew off the shelves and was sold out in a couple of hours. It does have a certain scarcity value these days.

I'm thinking - 6+ trays per frame, £30 per frame, 10 frames a box .... two boxes in a good colony .... even more lucrative than selling nucs, if only we had a decent season.

G.

For the last 3 days the bee's have been going like the clappers on the ling,pity about most of august.
Yes those prices sound about the same as here,the prices i wrote are trade prices to the shops.Dont forget the bits of comb left in the frame after cutting out the 227g combs,if not pressed,this goes into jars,with liquid honey,very popular.

Last edited:
Must be thinking Langstroth then Gavin as Nats give but 4 per frame.

PH

Last edited:
I've been travelling up and down to Aviemore this week for the dark bee conference, and the heather in places looks like it is still in full bloom. Stopping to have a look, there were still buds to come out in places. At last, yesterday and today, we have weather that will let them out to collect some.

all the best

Gavin

I was just guessing at the 6 per National frame. Still, 40 of them per super at a fiver each is a useful bit of pocket money (to pay the petrol for all those visits up the hills).

G.

OK then, 50 of them!

No foundation required (maybe thin stuff or just starter strips), no extractor needing cleaned, cheap plastic boxes .... it does have a certain appeal!

I've been cutting up this last week, and yes it has a certain appeal, no extractor no straining no jars to wash, and I have been getting on average four from a frame due to tapering of the combs at the ends.

In theory yes five I suppose if the combs are truly full.

Anyway price. Hmm.

I was charging £4-50 10 years ago and am getting that now for blossom CC so I would be looking me thinks at the 25 p per 10grams at least as some of my combs are a good 250 to 280gms.

It's a great way to do things, the offcuts supply the breakfast tables and the combs are so attractive to consumers. :)

No,sorry,no theory involved at all,five per frame,fact,and exactly 0ne and a half inch strip left on the side,so you must be getting one hell of a taper.cut out thousands of them,never do any blossom cc,just ling.

Last edited:
Yeah the taper was/is bad as the flow just dried off.

PH

Think that price is a good retail price (ie selling direct to the customer),but we would not get that round here as a trade price,time the shops add there mark up,it would just sit on the shelves,no future in nothing.

Last edited:
Right I was asking about a retail price as that is how most on here would operate and yes as a bulk wholesale price Hivemaker that is pretty good.

Goods on shelves are useless unless selling.

PH

Is that around £6 a slice ?

Whats the average retail for a full frame including the bars ?

Back