Line damage in brood frame

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strawberryzoe

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello all!
Can anyone help me identify what may be wrong with one of my brood frames? I have spotted some damage to some capped brood cells which appear in a straight line. Hopefully I have attached a couple of pictures. The last cell in the line was emerging when I took the photo.

Is this simply damage from inspection or something more sinister like wax moth? Many thanks in advance. I'm missing my mentor in the current lockdown ��, thanks Zoe

Attachments

• 20200517_230244.jpg
    20200517_230244.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
  • 20200517_230430.jpg
    20200517_230430.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 47
Last edited:
No pictures

Thanks, should I try and remove them? Or take out the affected frame?

I set the hive up in july 2018 and the bees seem to be doing well generally. A lot of advice suggests ways of treating stored supers so struggling a bit in knowing what to do.
Many thanks Zoe

The bees will sort it. You will do more damage then the moth! Watch stored frames this winter though
E

It’s common even in strong colonies and no need to remove comb. Simply follow the cocoon trail with the corner of the hive tool raking it out and you will normally find the bugger. Failing that if you tap the frame repeatedly with your hive tool rapidly giving it a rap they will suddenly appear out the comb I guarantee it works. If nothing appears they have often fallen out the other side, it does work and a neat trick. Ian

Generally as the colony expands they deal with the problem but some colonies just seem to put up with them.
I spotted a track in a comb with one of mine earlier on, caught the blighter luckily.
Tapping the frame usually gets a response if there is anything at home, for sure.

Larvae of greater wax moth. If they pop out of their tunnel the bees often grab them and drag them out of the hive.

Attachments

• bees attacking WM larvae.JPG
    bees attacking WM larvae.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 39

Latest posts

Back