LimeWatch UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are Lime all over my area, the nearest lot where cut back about 5 years ago but are now looking large enough to really flower this year.

Last edited:
It s rare as conditions have to be just right. It averages out as a bumper crop about every four years. So two consecutive years might mean nothing for the next seven😱

In North-west Dorset it usually comes into flower last week June or more usually first week of July. It is frustrating as conditions need to be just right - then you can have a bumper crop. Otherwise rather little or no nectar. Blackberry and clover far more reliable.

I was very surprised to see lime in flower already in London today! Weather forecast looks good, so bring it on…

Attachments

• 65D9C65A-31BB-44F0-9CB2-87570F6D1F18.jpeg
    65D9C65A-31BB-44F0-9CB2-87570F6D1F18.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 22
Checked a couple of trees with loads of flowers nearby about an hour ago and spotted one bumble on them 😢. Is there a better time of day for Lime? I know that hot and humid favours nectar production.

a better time of day for Lime
Nectar secretion depends on the weather and can appear early (perhaps before you get out of bed) and dry up until the heat of the day abates.

FN Howes' Plants & Beekeeping is the best book for lime: four quid buys you six pages describing various species and flowering times (though there's a hardback second edition for £22.50 if you prefer good typography).

It was such a good book that Kirk absorbed much of it into that other gem, Plants for Bees.

Nectar secretion depends on the weather and can appear early (perhaps before you get out of bed) and dry up until the heat of the day abates.

FN Howes' Plants & Beekeeping is the best book for lime: four quid buys you six pages describing various species and flowering times (though there's a hardback second edition for £22.50 if you prefer good typography).

It was such a good book that Kirk absorbed much of it into that other gem, Plants for Bees.
Thanks Eric. I’ll be out cycling about 6am tomorrow and will have a look then. Gonna be warm mornings this week and so the bees will be out first thing.

Last edited:
The Lime in Shirley Solihull has only just started to flower yet 3 miles down the road in Acocks Green it's been flowing for a few weeks. Go figure, be damned if I can work it out.

Went for a walk today could smell the lime before we saw it, I love the scent

Lime in flower on Queen Square WC1 only one or two bees around this early in the morning. PXL_20220617_072528975.jpg

The Lime in Shirley Solihull has only just started to flower yet 3 miles down the road in Acocks Green it's been flowing for a few weeks. Go figure, be damned if I can work it out.
This is Selly Park two days ago. I reckon they will flower within two weeks.

Attachments

• Limebuds.jpg
    Limebuds.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 10
My Lime trees near the hives are in full 'flower bud'. Will be blooming next week. The bees have changed their flying pattern in the last few days. Instead of crossing the drive and flying to the gardens to the East they are rising vertically and going South. I think the Limes in the garden of the 'Big House' are beginning to flower. The hive entrance is plastered with yellow pollen.

I have nine limes adjacent to my main apiary. About 25% of the flowers have opened. At 3pm (T. c.23C), honeybees sparse and not enough to create an audible buzz cf. frenzy on the pussy willow and crab apple a couple of months ago.
Bees are busy in the apiary but little pollen entering.

I have nine limes adjacent to my main apiary. About 25% of the flowers have opened. At 3pm (T. c.23C), honeybees sparse and not enough to create an audible buzz cf. frenzy on the pussy willow and crab apple a couple of months ago.
Bees are busy in the apiary but little pollen entering.
Likewise, plenty of bumbles but my bees must be on something else!

The lime trees around the estate where my workplace is are in full bloom... you can smell it from miles away ... there are several beehives on the campus - not a sign of any of them on the limes - some bumbles on them. Bramble in full bloom and there's loads of them around so I suspect they are better forage.

Limes need a lot of moisture to get the nectar flowing and it's been pretty dry down here for the last few weeks. Rain forecast for tomorrow but it's too far for my colonies to fly.

Too dry here too I guess. Dew on grass this morning but very little fragrance and only a couple of bumble bees on the lime despite masses of those lovely flowers. Browning already in patches.
(At least while underneath them I had a garden tiger moth perch on my hand, which was a treat.)

Latest posts

Back