LimeWatch UK

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enrico,
It's the other way round, or so I was told. If your ancient trees produce, it goes to show that nothing is certain. My guess is that nectar production is more dependent on consistent local humid weather conditions, which we did have recently in London for ten days or so.

Looking at the massive amounts of flowers I think it may be a good like year. Still a while to go before they open though

Just started flowering here over the last few days, lots of honey bees working on them along with all the other things in flower now... the sweet chestnut will also be in flower very soon now, always do well from them.

Just started flowering here over the last few days, lots of honey bees working on them along with all the other things in flower now... the sweet chestnut will also be in flower very soon now, always do well from them.

I was at Hampton Court Flower Show a few days ago and all the limes in Bushy and Hampton parks are largely over. Chestnut in full swing. Absolutely miles of blooming chestnut along the M4 Reading area and along the M3. Some lucky Beeks there ��

Chestnut in full swing. Absolutely miles of blooming chestnut along the M4 Reading area and along the M3. Some lucky Beeks there ��

There are a few quite large forests here which are predominantly mature sweet chestnut trees, planted by the big estates as an alternative to the oak trees they cut down by the thousand.

Sticky and humid here and Limes in full flower.
In downtown Dalston last night, walking back from the pub through the warm rain and the long-legged nightlife and the colourful revellers returning from Pride, I stood under a tree only 60% in flower. Though the ancient Common lime (Tilia europaea, with its basal sproutings) finished ten days ago, these are recent street trees and likely to be Tilia cordata, the small-leaved lime.

Lime is pretty much finished here from what I can see....

Last week, lime buds tightly shut.. It has been wet but hardly humid - that requires heat...

I was at Hampton Court Flower Show a few days ago and all the limes in Bushy and Hampton parks are largely over.

We were there yesterday .. Limes definitely gone over .. no sign of any insects on them. We were there 2 years ago in 2017 .. on 6th July (same date) ..limes in absolutely full flower and the hum was so audible sitting underneath them ... completely covered in honey bees.

Looks like the limes were at least two weeks ahead of 2 years ago.

We were there yesterday .. Limes definitely gone over .. no sign of any insects on them. We were there 2 years ago in 2017 .. on 6th July (same date) ..limes in absolutely full flower and the hum was so audible sitting underneath them ... completely covered in honey bees.

Looks like the limes were at least two weeks ahead of 2 years ago.

Hope you enjoyed the show
I was a little disappointed
I think shows like this price the smaller producers out. How much is a pitch?
I went with a long shopping list and came back with nothing.
Malvern shows are better and there is country file live too. Stan can get his selfie with Ellie 😃

The sweet chestnut was well out and buzzing

There are some limes ~ 100 m from my home apiary. They are just finishing. I have stood and watched them for five minutes or so on days when I've passed them over the last week or so and not seen one bee, none at all, honey or otherwise, on the myriad flowers.

Ours are in magnificent full bloom...will try and post some pictures later.
Not a honey bee in sight...bumbles,wasps,hover flies arc

Not sure these pictures do them justice, all currently in full bloom. To give you some idea of scale the corner of the building in the first picture is the top of the second storey of our local pub...these are big old trees, there are about 6 of them in total, all about 200 yards from the garden apiary. Not a honey bee on any of them.

lime1small.jpg

lime2small.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the show
I was a little disappointed
I think shows like this price the smaller producers out. How much is a pitch?
I went with a long shopping list and came back with nothing.
Malvern shows are better and there is country file live too. Stan can get his selfie with Ellie 😃

The sweet chestnut was well out and buzzing

I did BBC Countryfile Live in 2016 at Blenheim, during it’s first year.

Total cost for a 3m x 2m stand, fuel, cheap accommodation etc etc - £2,800

120,000 came over the four days across what must have been a 90 to 100 acre site hosting 750 traders of all different shapes and sizes as well as the celebrities and the like.

......and no bag drop area.

Nobody bought anything because they didn’t want to carry it around all day
🙄😖😖

Many of the food traders, who I know well from other events, were fuming.

I think this last weeks been good for limes around me, most are going over now but a few later varieties look good and a lot of clear nectar caped and uncapped. Sweet chestnut looking good for this week and maybe the week after before most is over.

Well they can if conditions are right be amazing and I must admit some of my best and tasty comb honey is produced of lime trees.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is the hype about lime trees?

You may as well ask: what is the hype about forage?
No hype: lime is one piece of the jigsaw of annual forage and a significant one with sublime flavour. If only I could say the same about borage.

Latest posts

Back