Likelihood of swarming

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may have missed my post that this was in 2011. With hindsight I realise that this occurred due to the fact that it was my first year in beekeeping and I was going for combs! I was concerned at the time that my one and only colony would swarm, but all the experienced beeks advised me that bees don't swarm this time of the year! Even Thornes after I had told a member of staff that they just had. I picked up a swarm in October one year too - not mine. So, be aware bees under certain circumstances will swarm late in the season. Well, I am inspecting my bees this afternoon to see if the queens are still laying after treatment and I will inspect for QC as well.
Thanks for the heads up beeno.
They very often do things they shouldn't the little buets.

I've got a spare polynuc, so might as well fill it with something over winter. And who knows, maybe this queen plays nicely and can earn a full-sized hive next year.

Just picked up a rather small swarm from someone's garden.

Along with a large green-marked queen that looked very much like a buckfast - light tan. The bees with her were also light coloured, gentle in nature (so far). Similar to my buckfasts.

21 Sep is the latest I've been called out for a swarm.
Blimey that’s late. My bees have switched modes for some weeks now...

Propably not.... Something to learn from it?
Yes, the possibility of late swarming in September in the SE of UK if the environmental conditions are attractive and the beekeeper have started winter feeding too early. But I recognise that may not be so interesting for a Finman.

Yes, the possibility of late swarming in September in the SE of UK if the environmental conditions are attractive and the beekeeper have started winter feeding too early. But I recognise that may not be so interesting for a Finman.

I cannot help you

Latest posts

Back