Lightweight bee suits?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterbees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This message was posted on our Conwy Beekeepers' Facebook group yesterday. Any suggestions please?
"I'm looking for a bee suit which is cooler than my BJS which is uncomfortably hot in summer. Yesterday I had to take a break after every hive to towel down and rehydrate. My colonies were calm thankfully - if they had been stingy they would have got me as it was too hot even for a tee shirt underneath and the material was sticking to me! Some of the newer designs such as the Sentinel Pro 2 and the Ultra Bee suit (which is very expensive) claim to be cool and virtually sting proof - any suggestions?
Thanks.

I've a Sentinel Pro jacket. A breeze passes straight through it. But bear in mind that there are days when you'd feel uncomfortably hot even if all you were wearing was a pair of Speedos.
i've not been stung through it, or through the Old Castle Farm gloves, which look clumsy but are surprisingly easy to work with.
The veil is good too. The bee I shared the hood with the other day was more interested in looking around than in bothering me. (She didn't get in through a gap in the jacket. She was on my head when I kitted up.)

Yes, complete nonsense but there again, I see some old blokes wearing coats when I'm hot in a T shirt.

Sentinel Pro
OzArmor
Can vouch for both. I rarely wear my BBwear suits now.

BBwear lightweight deluxe suit is my choice. Very thin, Teflon coated, provides excellent protection (and my bees are far from calm)

BBwear lightweight deluxe suit is my choice. Very thin, Teflon coated, provides excellent protection (and my bees are far from calm)
I've got one of those. I wear it on cooler days.
A sting can penetrate it if you're wearing a tee shirt or shorts

I've got one of those. I wear it on cooler days.
A sting can penetrate it if you're wearing a tee shirt or shorts
Something to do with the coating, but I rarely get stung through the suit (if I do, it’s because I accidentally pinched one). Even though my bees can be challenging at times.

I have an Oz Armour and have have been able to keep much cooler than my fellow beekeepers when working at our association apiary this summer. We are based in the south east so wearing the ventilated suit has been a real benefit. It does however rely on a breeze so on windless days it is still hot to wear. I have also received no stings through it in the two years I have had it despite working on and requeening an extremely aggressive hive.

I also wear the castle hive ventilated gloves and no stings using them either.

I have an Oz Armour and have have been able to keep much cooler than my fellow beekeepers when working at our association apiary this summer. We are based in the south east so wearing the ventilated suit has been a real benefit. It does however rely on a breeze so on windless days it is still hot to wear. I have also received no stings through it in the two years I have had it despite working on and requeening an extremely aggressive hive.

I also wear the castle hive ventilated gloves and no stings using them either.
Thanks for the useful comment.

I get very hot, a faulty thermostat perhaps. I tried a mesh full suit for a year and it was delightfully cool when there was a breeze but the rest of the time it was a very good insulator and very hot.
I now have a cotton twill jacket with attached veil and wear thick denim jeans. That was hot too so I sewed a pocket into the back across my shoulders into which I put a gel pillow sold to keep a head cool in bed . I keep it in the freezer and it makes a big difference for about twenty minutes, then it turns into a hot water bottle.

I am looking for a couple of lightweight jackets for visitors to my appiary
If they are not going to be seriously involved with the bees and are principally observing then have a look at those sold by Simon the beekeeper - you will find him on ebay. Good value, sting proof - not that elaborate, wash well .. not ones you would buy if you were the beekeeper but good enough to look after visitors and keep them clear of stings. Remember to tell them to wear some wellies and stout trousers .. and a couple of pairs of beekeeping gloves will make them feel like beekeepers (although I would not wear them for handling bees they do give visitors a feeling of security).

Aus armour are great but terrible to clean

Latest posts

Back