lids

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteinwilts

Drone Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lots and lots
Hi Guys

As I have nearly run out of polycarbonate roofing, what is the metal normally used for beehive roofs?

Any other good material suggestions?

Cheers
Pete

Zinc sheet

Aluminium sheet

Galv' steel sheet

Used Litho printers sheet

Roofing felt

Pond liner

Zinc sheet

Aluminium sheet

Galv' steel sheet

Used Litho printers sheet

not sure what a printers litho sheet actually is!!

any idea of prices of what the Ali and Galv should cost.
I was just quoted £27 each for 1m sq 1mm stainless steel...:svengo:

I bought some 0.5mm Aluminium sheet cut to size (22"x22") and I think it worked out at about £4 a hive.

Darren.

Litho plates are used by the printing trade (offset litho) once used the are sent for scrap.Very easy to use if you can get some from your LOCAL newspaper printers,expect to pay about £1.00 per sheet.you can cut it up with an old pair of scissors. sheet will just cover a hive roof.

Stainless steel is a bit O.T.T.and is a b_____d to cut and bend.For D.I.Y. stick with Aluminium.Use galvanised felt nails to attach to the roof to prevent the iron in the nail from corroding the al.al into holes.

Stainless steel is a bit O.T.T.and is a b_____d to cut and bend.For D.I.Y. stick with Aluminium.Use galvanised felt nails to attach to the roof to prevent the iron in the nail from corroding the al.al into holes.

do we think it should come from a metal merchant or something from a builders merchants??

It's sometimes available from scrap metal merchants if you want to keep the cost down but I would try a local printers first.

Hi, What I use is the alluminium lining from a chest freezer, you can cut it out with a stanley Knife, cut it to size using tin snips, easy enough to shape and tap the corners with a hammer for a perfect fit on the roof. I have used them for 4 years now, they don't seem to corrode and I've never had to repair one, best of all, they are usually Free!

Enzo.

sounds interesting... might need to talk nicely to the local tip!! :)

Pete
If you are talking National Wynne Jones sells just the covers ready folded, just need fixing and off you go, as to cost you would have to ring him as steel prices have risen recently
kev

hhhmmm... as I have made all my own hives, If ready folded I would need to be careful with sizes.. I might give them a call.

I am half tempted to go back down the polycarbonate route.

My other hives have posh 25mm thick 5 wall, which was left over from our porch. I am tempted just to go for 10mm polycarbonate...

The only thing bad thing I can think of is Polycarbonate is extremely reflective and the hives are like lighthouses in the corner of the fields when the sun is out (especially in the evenings)... although I guess I could paint them!
25mm has been extremely bulky, hence sizing down to 10mm..

I have never had a metal roof before. Doesn't the metal make the roof hot in summer (when we have one!) and cold in Winter??
What benefits are there for metal overy polycarbonate??

peteinwilts

Galvanised steel sheet is cheap, easily bent to size, long-lived and suited to purpose (waterproof).

The specific heat of metals is generally low so need only a small amount of heat energy to raise the temperature by a considerable amount. It is, however, a good reflector. The sheet is normally above a good insulator (wood) and there is a better insulator below that - air. Finally any air that does get hotter (by conduction) tends to rise (expands, so has a reduced density) and be replaced by cooler air from below, the hot air leaving via the ventilation orifices.

Winter - insulate under and no problem even if there was any risk of cooling the interior.

Hope this helps to explain why metal roofs are OK.

Regards, RAB

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back