library of pollen photos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hm… It`s strange that on the same kind of a plant ( I presume) bees have different colors of pollen.
I.e. I see the dark blue pollen ( or black even) on a bell heather on my picture,
7c744dd8c9c6.jpg

while on yours it`s a “creamy” alike, same as on a ling heather on mine :
bb01c0d9a6ad.jpg

Oh sorry. Yours is not bell heather like mine. I presume yours is Erica heather ( [FONT=&quot]as it has black edging around pestle, visible from outside. While bell heather hasn`t).[/FONT]

Last edited:
Daffodil

Well, this is a first for me!
Not a very good picture......sorry

Attachments

• IMG_1105.jpg
    IMG_1105.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 32
On the willow this weekend - is it spring yet?
CAPRNALWwAAkpUk.jpg

Collecting pollen (and nectar?) from Viburnum bodnantense 'Dawn'.

Attachments

• 2015-03-20 15.52.42.jpg
    2015-03-20 15.52.42.jpg
    482.3 KB · Views: 19
currently blue pollen coming in, so put it under a microscope today

looks like siberian squill (Scillia siberica

Attachments

• siberial squill3.jpg
    siberial squill3.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 6
  • siberian squill 4.jpg
    siberian squill 4.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 3
Pollen ID?

Checked my inspection board after 2 weeks in ( one varroa - woohoo).

Along with loads of cappings and the odd bee leg there were lots of( a few dozen) dropped pollen loads in various shades of mustard and yellow(willow, hazel probably?) - lots of a muddy light green one - which I tentatively identified as goat willow; and one mysterious load of pink - baby's bottom pink at that. Any ideas?

Very interested in this also, didnt even know this thread existed.
Pollen charts are a pain to try and compare to.
The Dorothy Hodges book ‘The Pollen Loads of the Honeybee’ is my reference when in doubt. Published originally in 1952 then again in 1964 and 1974. The great thing about identifying pollen is you have an idea where they are sourcing their loads of both pollen and nectar, which is very important information when you do a great deal of observation at the landing board as well as weekly inspections. 🧐

I have 'The Pollen Loads of the Honeybee' and Rex Sawyer's 'Pollen Identification for Beekeepers'.
My go to reference though is 'Pollen Microscopy' by Norman Chapman. Full of beautifully detailed line drawings of pollen grains together with colour photograghs of the plant it comes from.

Latest posts

Back