library of pollen photos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you mean close up pictures of actual pollen grains?
Can anyone recommend a book of images of pollen grains. I would love to identify what my bees are bringing back (other than just the colour of the pollen)

Book of images of pollen grains?
Rex Sawyer wrote two books "honey identification" and "Pollen identification for beekeepers"
The Dorothy Hodges book "pollen loads of the honeybee" has detailed drawings (although this is an expensive book to obtain). Harrogate beekeepers produced a CD of pollen images which they sell.

blue pollen from rosebay willow herb yesterday

Meadow-sweet

bee on meadowsweet today(3.7.14) here in Cumbria
2ihkopi.jpg

Wonderful pictures! Thank you, and everyone else.

Getting nectar from Oil seed rape
Working a daffodil
Bee on viburnum
Bee on gooseberry
Bee on gooseberry

Just fabulous. Thank you for posting these lovely images. Did you take them?

Can anyone recommend a book of images of pollen grains. I would love to identify what my bees are bringing back (other than just the colour of the pollen)

I have a book called "Pollen" by Rob Kesseler and Madeline Harley. Amazing macrophotography of pollen grains.
But more useful for identification purposes is William Kirks "A colour guide to pollen loads of the honeybee". A really good publication, with extensive colour charts, plant names in colloquial and Latin and time of their occurrence.

I spotted a few bees collecting pollen from honeysuckle this morning. First time I've ever seen it.
Lousy pictures...sorry... but one shows the pollen sacs and fairly well.

Phycelia pollen

The bees are working this heavily at the moment.

Latest posts

Back