library of pollen photos

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think it is in the set of images (Fagopyrum species) but several images on the link below - one with size information:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...n+image&form=IGRE&first=1&tsc=ImageBasicHover
Thank you. I asked because a couple of years ago a farmer had sown a field of buckwheat and I had a dark, strongly flavoured honey that year. I'd assumed it would be buckwheat but couldn't confirm it so I just called it dark honey. Some customers liked it. Others asked for pale (osr) honey. There wasn't any dark honey last year which coincided with no buckwheat being grown.

Thank you. I asked because a couple of years ago a farmer had sown a field of buckwheat and I had a dark, strongly flavoured honey that year. I'd assumed it would be buckwheat but couldn't confirm it so I just called it dark honey. Some customers liked it. Others asked for pale (osr) honey. There wasn't any dark honey last year which coincided with no buckwheat being grown.
Never had buckwheat near me so no experience but others may have e.g. those on mainland Europe?

Pollen ID?

Checked my inspection board after 2 weeks in ( one varroa - woohoo).

Along with loads of cappings and the odd bee leg there were lots of( a few dozen) dropped pollen loads in various shades of mustard and yellow(willow, hazel probably?) - lots of a muddy light green one - which I tentatively identified as goat willow; and one mysterious load of pink - baby's bottom pink at that. Any ideas?
Hi curly,
The willow species around my site in Fermanagh give Pollen loads that range from yellow to mustard to brown. Despite being in an area with much hazel I have never recorded hazel pollen in bee pollen loads. Hazel is usually well over before willows start. Did you look at the pollen under a microscope?
Alan.

Latest posts

Back