Levelling a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernardBlack

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hive stood on a few cement blocks. Level at first, seem to have sunk a little at one corner.

It's not out by a massive amount, but enough to bug me.

Any tips on how to correct this? Ideally lifting one block while inspecting hive and raising it would probably do, but I usually inspect on my own, and would prove very awkward. Plus, would find it hard to get it exact when (literally) hive is in pieces (too heavy to heft).

Best not to disturb the blocks but chock the hive from the top of them.

The block will have settled. Anything you do to interfere with the interface of the blocks and the ground will be subject to further settlement! :yeahthat:

Hive stood on a few cement blocks. Level at first, seem to have sunk a little at one corner.

Any tips on how to correct this? Ideally lifting one block while inspecting hive and raising it would probably do, but I usually inspect on my own, and would prove very awkward. Plus, would find it hard to get it exact when (literally) hive is in pieces (too heavy to heft).

As martin says leave the blocks alone, roofing slate is brilliant for leveling them up, i have to do mine every year through moles digging under the paving slabs and to think i kill thousands of the little devils every year..

Why have them level? A slight angle helps drain any water ingress etc.

Hmm, I do tend to have a bit of OCD about certain things :D

Just thought that the honey on frames will be set at an angle if not level, and might be an issue when extracting?

I ignored some of my hives leaning a little, only for it becoming a major problem when you get to three plus supers on fully loaded with honey. Often expected to visit with one or more having toppled over.

I cut a load of wedges from scrap/off cuts and carry them in the truck to straighten the hives up. Much safer and easy to do.

Any tips on how to correct this?

I do tend to have a bit of OCD about certain things

Get some reasonably large hollow steel piles driven deep into the ground, down to bed rock... these are then pumped full of concrete, then build the dead level concrete base/footings for your hives on top of these piles, I have seen the large machines which bore the holes and drive in these piles, they use such machines to build the footings for sky scrapers, etc...sure you could hire one in.

Agree with Hachi. - increasing angle could lead to slippage of Upper B Box or super(s) or allow water ingress ... I use wedges or thin cut off slips to remedy. Oh by the by touch of OCD here too. 😊

If the blocks are on topsoil then this will happen. Topsoil is generally quite loose and contains a fair bit or air. You could try distributing the load by placing paving slabs under the blocks, but this obviously involves dismantling and moving the hive to one side - not a huge job when supers are off.

My hives aren't perfectly vertical, but ratchet hive straps keep them together.

Latest posts

Back