Lesser strength maqs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first time I used it - when it was just out, ther was no reaction - the MAQS was quite dry though.
I got some for last year and used it on 2 colonies. (It was much wetter than the first lot). Both colonies had a pile of dead bees outside the entrance and I lost one of the queens. (Double brood, entrance and mesh floor open). I used it on a doiuble brood hive this spring and 100's of bees were crawling out onto the landing board after a few hours to fall off and die. I've used 1/2 dose a couple of times but it's now time expired (doesn't last that long). I need to be convinced by someone to use it again.

I've had a full box of maqs sat in the bee room and daren't use it....... Apiguard for me this year. I don't need to lose any bees or Queens at this point in the season personally.....

Are any of you guys who have piles of dead bees, queens off lay, queens dead, colonies absconding, varroa not killed etc reported your findings to the manufacturers? If they are not told of the problems experienced then they will think the product is working well. It's all very well reporting back to the forum but many Beeks don't read the forum and won't know of the problems experienced.
Personally I would be too scared to use maqs lest my queens get killed.

As I have stated before, I (nor any member of my branch) have not had any problems using MAQS over the last three years. No piles of dead bees, no queen losses just queens that go off lay for a few days (& less days off lay than when I used Apiguard) so I don't understand why others are having problems using it (are they taking off the paper "outer" ? ) Perhaps my northern bees are hardier!?

As I have stated before, I (nor any member of my branch) have not had any problems using MAQS over the last three years. No piles of dead bees, no queen losses just queens that go off lay for a few days (& less days off lay than when I used Apiguard) so I don't understand why others are having problems using it (are they taking off the paper "outer" ? ) Perhaps my northern bees are hardier!?
Can assure you I 100% follow the instructions. Can't understand why sometimes I get a strong reaction and other times virtually none. The one observation I did make is the worst affected colony did beard strongly which could have reduced ventilation, thus resulting in more deaths.

:iagree:

As I have stated before, I have not had any problems using MAQS over the last three years. No piles of dead bees, no queen losses just queens that go off lay for a few days (& less days off lay than when I used Apiguard) so I don't understand why others are having problems using it

Ditto,

just 1 dead queen in 3 years which was probably my fault as I dose 1 'pad' on a std national 6 frame poly nuc. Found the queen dead in the bottom and probably 50 other bees. I think maybe the smell overpowered the queens smell and they took her out. They then made emergency cells in desperation, late in the season so I chucked them out.
Happy to use it as it allows me to leave my supers on.

Maybe the dosage was wrong last year.
If Maqs had made an error whilst manufacturing them I doubt if they would tell us. It would cost them thousands in compensation.

Have not used yet, will use this week on 5 Nationals and 5 Nucs

Only will use 1 strip per National and a 1/3rd per polynuc.

On 4 Nationals last winter used 1 strip each and blasted in January, when broodless, with Oxallic.

No losses worked a treat.... If it ain't broken....

That said .... Every year can differ... Will be interesting to see if same result, also had left this late last year to apply the one MAQS strips

Last edited:
2 beehive strips comprise one dose.
Each beehive strip supplies:
Formic acid 68.2g.

Unless anyone has found different?

Just a quick update as earlier in this thread I posted a concern following maq treatment. All hives calmed down on day 4, and today I have eggs in all so all looks well.

Latest posts

Back