Lesser strength maqs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enrico

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
in the last two years I have always had a handful of dead bees when I have used maqs. This year nothing. Usually when I put it on they buzz and move away but this year calm as anything! Beginning to wonder if I had a duff batch but a quick sniff brought tears to my eyes. Have they reduced the strength for british hives? Anyone else using maqs noticed anything different?
Thanks
E

They aren't even allowed to change the instructions' wording without going back for re-authorisation!

I was told the concentration had now been adjusted for nationals/weather but the instructions stayed the same.

I was told the concentration had now been adjusted for nationals/weather but the instructions stayed the same.

Some people will say anything!

Change anything about the product and re-authorisation is needed.

The product's 'potency' does seem to vary quite a lot depending on the precise conditions of use.
Number 7 on my RBI's list of "Top 10 Varroa Mistakes" (presented at the recent DEFRA meeting) was overdosing with MAQS. He thought it important to seal the inspection tray and take out the entrance block so that bee-fanning could control the ventilation. Which kinda implies not using MAQS during the wasp-problem season.
/ Folk here would argue with at least 6 of his other 9 concerns ... !

Don't know what they have done as I don't buy it but the info came from one of the staff at beecraft magazine so who knows.
People are saying it's killing less bees this year.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

A hive we treated at our association apiary was not bothered at all. We stood back and waited........ nothing.

in the last two years I have always had a handful of dead bees when I have used maqs. This year nothing. Usually when I put it on they buzz and move away but this year calm as anything! Beginning to wonder if I had a duff batch but a quick sniff brought tears to my eyes. Have they reduced the strength for british hives? Anyone else using maqs noticed anything different?
Thanks
E

Does that mean less effective, personally, I found it killed bees and they absconded but was not effective against Varroa, of if it was I had a massive build up between August and December last year. I treated for two years in a row, this year I've switched to another product. Not concerned about the bee deaths, (when they buggered off, I was annoyed).

So I've switched to Apivar for the next two years, and then I'll switch back.

OA in Dec. via varrox.

Well. two days on and not one dead bee. That gives me hope that all my queens will survive!
E

Did mine today and wasn't too careful about clearing bees to get the strips on because they were stinging so much. Got them on sharpish, the bees just buzzed a bit and moved away.

We used MAQS on Dusty's bees this year. They didn't seem bothered by it, but both queens went off lay, just for a few of days it looked to me by the gap in the brood. No bearding. If i had my own bees, this is what I would use.

I always thought you had your own bees kaz..... Where have they gone!

The first time I used it - when it was just out, ther was no reaction - the MAQS was quite dry though.
I got some for last year and used it on 2 colonies. (It was much wetter than the first lot). Both colonies had a pile of dead bees outside the entrance and I lost one of the queens. (Double brood, entrance and mesh floor open). I used it on a doiuble brood hive this spring and 100's of bees were crawling out onto the landing board after a few hours to fall off and die. I've used 1/2 dose a couple of times but it's now time expired (doesn't last that long). I need to be convinced by someone to use it again.

The first time I used it - when it was just out, ther was no reaction - the MAQS was quite dry though.
I got some for last year and used it on 2 colonies. (It was much wetter than the first lot). Both colonies had a pile of dead bees outside the entrance and I lost one of the queens. (Double brood, entrance and mesh floor open). I used it on a doiuble brood hive this spring and 100's of bees were crawling out onto the landing board after a few hours to fall off and die. I've used 1/2 dose a couple of times but it's now time expired (doesn't last that long). I need to be convinced by someone to use it again.

I bought bucket of soon to expire MAQs at the Spring Convention and was told it's OK to keep them in the freezer way beyond expiry day. I emailed the manufacturer's advisor and he 'unofficially' concurred. I've not had the courage to use them yet - currently using thymol.

Last edited:
We have never used more than one strip, perfectly adequate control at that dose.

Can still cause the loss of some weaker bees and the odd queen.

I always thought you had your own bees kaz..... Where have they gone!

We lost the school bees coming out of winter a few years back. Likely due to varroa as they still had stores untouched. They have asked me to run another colony for them but they have got no chance! Won't supply me with the funds for equipment or treatments. The fact I got them through those couple of years at all is down to the members of this forum and their generosity, and my going around summer fetes begging for donations. I'm not allowed them at home as I live in rented accommodation. So looking for something suitable nearby that isn't that school, so for now I bother Dusty's bees, which is lovely of him to let me to do so :)

Just an update, took the maqs off today. All queens present and eggs in all hives...woohoo! Oh and thanks for the info kaz....I am really pleased you are still keeping your hand in....good for dusty.
E

I used Maqs today and was surprised to find very little odour from the strips - unlike the year before last. It was a new batch just in from the manufacturer. My worry is that it will not kill many mites, so I will blast them with Oxalic acid later on this year and in the Spring if the mite drop is higher than I would like.

I can report the opposite, treated 3 colonies last weekend, all 3 were strong and in very similar condition. 2 of these had a very strong reactions with piles of dead bees, the 3rd didn't seem to lose many. Today all 3 are roaring and sound suspiciously queenless... Very keen to check but will wait out the full duration.

Used the same batch on another hive a couple of weeks ago and virtually no reaction at all.

Same batch, all from the same box, very similar hives, same method of treatment, weather conditions similar. I've no idea!

Latest posts

Back