Leptospermum (manuka) - can I grow it?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazza

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 ish
I'm thinking about some new trees and shrubs for next season ( beeloved by bees of course.)
I'm assuming I can't grow the Manuka bush because it isn't very hardy? Can anyone dissprove this?
Ta
Cazza

Thanks Rooftops.
I saw that one when I googled but then saw the ones offered by Burncoose Nursery which say they cope to 0 deg C which then put me off. (As it's currently -4 here.) The proof is is the growing I suppose.
Cazza

Hi Hivemaker
Aren't they lucky!
Cornwall is so much warmer than the frost pocket I live in. They can grow lots of exotics which I can't.
I'm trying to think of things I can grow that they can't? Sorry, failed.
Beer is better though.
Cazza

There are slightly hardier varieties such as 'Red Damask', but the hardier ones all seem to be the double varieties, therefore presumably not much use.

Does anyone have one of these trees that we might try and propagate cuttings from?

Yes you can grow them in this country.

Have a look at County Park Nursery, Hornchurch, Essex.

Yes you can grow them in this country.

Have a look at County Park Nursery, Hornchurch, Essex.

Thanks MODNOD, that looks like just what I was looking for. If they will grow in Hornchurch I would imagine they will work here.

Cazza

Thanks MODNOD, that looks like just what I was looking for. If they will grow in Hornchurch I would imagine they will work here.

Cazza

They grow fine in the wilds of bedfordshire, i will get a picture of mine.

Do give graham a ring (county park nursery), he is a bit off an oddball but he knows his stuff.

Nick.

Obviously you can grow whatever you want, but personally I would and do grow native plants,shrubs,trees, is this such a bad thing? The wild plants here in France are pretty much the same as the UK.

Obviously you can grow whatever you want, but personally I would and do grow native plants,shrubs,trees, is this such a bad thing? The wild plants here in France are pretty much the same as the UK.

Each to their own. I am a plantaholic and would find that too restrictive.
Cazza

Latest posts

Back