Length of time bee keeping?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some people never/wont learn :(.
Can't see length of time beekeeping helps anybody and could disqualify sound advice from a relatively new beekeeper ,likewise it could give false kudos to a beekeeper long on dubious practice but short on knowledge !!.

John Wilkinson
PS: 20 years in my case ,hope it helps but think not :svengo:.

I'm into my eigth or ninth season of actually keeping bees. BUT, my interest goes back much further than that, probably more than twenty years. Having an agricultural childhood/background with a biological liking - a change of partner was the eventual deciding factor for me to actually get started.

Regards, RAB

3 years.- but as John says, it isn't length of time at it- but what your standard is.
I have witnessed a couple of beekeepers of 40 years experience being b......... awful in their treatment of a frame of bees. And some of them dont accept any new ways, or indicate disease awareness. Others are a joy to watch - and learn from.

Just as long as we all remember - however long we have been beekeepers we are always learning- :cheers2:

I have witnessed a couple of beekeepers of 40 years experience being b......... awful in their treatment of a frame of bees.

Ditto, I once witnessed one local association member (now ex-member) almost killing a colony (or driving it to desert the hive!) by his unhealthy obsession with using the smoker. The exact same colony was regularly examined by another long time member...with bare hands and no smoke.

Hi

I have been keeping bees for 10 years, my ambition is to become a Master Beekeeper (BBKA recognised) then to take the National Diploma in Beekeeping.
As well as learning all the time I try to carry out manipulations with the minimum of distress for the bees.

Regards;

16 years of having my own colonies, but agree time does not a master make!

However time aids experience, you could have 1 hive for 10 years and only
experience as much as someone who has had 5 hives for 2 years.

C B

47 years
it took me 7 years to learn basics.
In forums i can see that pesons have many goals why they have bees; what they are interested to learn.
I have seen too that many do not want to learn new things . They repeat they old truthts. Many are fond in humbug like in varroa issues.
heat economy and nutrition and breeding are hard bits to most.

Back