Legal requirements for labels pls.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first started I was surprised to learn that we're required to put a 'best before' date on our honey labels.
To me, this makes very little sense since we know that honey remains edible for many years and potentially centuries (the famously 'edible' honey found in an Egyptian tomb was reputedly over 3000 years old).

What is the definition of 'best'? All our honey varieties crystalise at different rates; everyone's own preferences differ - set or runny, strong or mild? Flavours vary from season to season and from flowering crop to flowering crop. Personally, I prefer my honey to be set. Others go to the lengths of heating to make it runny again - if it's been severely filtered it is more likely to remain runny for longer (or over heated), but that means there are less of the other natural components present and if it's been over heated then there's a whole extra discussion.
So how is the humble beekeeper expected to make a judgement into the future as to when their honey is going to be less than 'best'?

I would suggest that far more useful than an arbitrary and meaningless date we should be stating the year of production - the Vintage - in the same way as wine. This could be a useful marketing tool as well as removing the potential for customer complaints based upon a meaningless promise of 'best'.
There have been instances on this forum where members of the public have opened a jar and left it slightly unsealed, it then starts to ferment and they complain to Trading Standards that the honey is unfit. Maybe we need to add 'Once opened consume within 3 weeks'.

There have been instances on this forum where members of the public have opened a jar and left it slightly unsealed, it then starts to ferment and they complain to Trading Standards that the honey is unfit. Maybe we need to add 'Once opened consume within 3 weeks'.
Some people do just that - I've seen it labels before.

Crumbs ... at the rate things are going the labels on some honey are going to take over so much of the jar you won't be able to see the honey - which in many cases sells the product more than the label.

I can't see any reason for a 'consume within x weeks' addition to the label. Even if the customer leave the lid off it's not going to ferment for a week or two at least and the first things TS are going to ask is how long ago did you buy it, have you got a receipt and how has it been stored ?

Worrying about such matters is nonsense ... Selling fermenting honey - well, that's a different kettle of fish. But even if you have fermenting honey as long as you state it on the label it's OK to sell it - there is small but growing market for fermented honey. (Can't say I fancy it ... but some people do !).

https://localhoneyman.co.uk/fermented-raw-honey/

Crumbs ... at the rate things are going the labels on some honey are going to take over so much of the jar you won't be able to see the honey - which in many cases sells the product more than the label.

I can't see any reason for a 'consume within x weeks' addition to the label. Even if the customer leave the lid off it's not going to ferment for a week or two at least and the first things TS are going to ask is how long ago did you buy it, have you got a receipt and how has it been stored ?

Worrying about such matters is nonsense ... Selling fermenting honey - well, that's a different kettle of fish. But even if you have fermenting honey as long as you state it on the label it's OK to sell it - there is small but growing market for fermented honey. (Can't say I fancy it ... but some people do !).

https://localhoneyman.co.uk/fermented-raw-honey/
Considering there was a post on here a few years ago and the beekeeper ended up giving a freebie as a replacement to save any further hassle it is something to consider. If you are happy to have your stock reduced unnecessarily, then who am I to argue.

Considering there was a post on here a few years ago and the beekeeper ended up giving a freebie as a replacement to save any further hassle it is something to consider.
Knowing that poster I wouldn't give them, or the story much credence (although they did repeat the story after being banned and then assuming a new identity - which was thoughtful of them :icon_204-2: )

I can't remember any other ones but I'm willing for you to point it out ...
No - it was another, in a thread about BBE dates, it was he who must not be named, who was subsequently banned (not for the first time) then came back with a new identity, but the fact was ignored

Last edited:
If this is something of concern then belt and braces would be to use tamper evident labels/shrink bands and keep representative batch samples. Some customers might perceive the 3 week shelf life as an up selling ploy.

Latest posts

Back