Left Apivar Strips in over winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwt_uk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

I inadvertently left a couple of apivar strips in a hive over winter (I put them in the hive in September). It got me thinking - will all the traces of amitraz contained on the strips have degraded/disappeared by now? Will the strips still pose an issue for honey after this length of time?

I will obviously remove them on my next visit but it is still cold in Scotland and I don’t want to open them up unnecessarily!

Hello all,

I inadvertently left a couple of apivar strips in a hive over winter (I put them in the hive in September). It got me thinking - will all the traces of amitraz contained on the strips have degraded/disappeared by now? Will the strips still pose an issue for honey after this length of time?

I will obviously remove them on my next visit but it is still cold in Scotland and I don’t want to open them up unnecessarily!
They've probably got that much propolis on them they wouldn't be any harm to nowt, why did you leave them in all winter, something you shouldn't be doing really.

Hello all,

They've probably got that much propolis on them they wouldn't be any harm to nowt, why did you leave them in all winter, something you shouldn't be doing really.
It's not ideal to leave the strips in for that length of time ...the maximum recommended treatment period is 56 days and the optimum treatment duration is 6 weeks ... the reason for that this is to reduce any possibility of the varroa mites buiding up resistance to the active ingredient, Amitraz. Having said that there is only some evidence that mites are becoming resistance to this chemical.

By now the strips will be largely inactive but I would leave off putting on a super until a week ot two after removing the strips just to be on the safe side.

I would also choose a different varroa treatment next season so the mites are not re-exposed to the Amitraz again in the same year.

Make a note for the future though ... not good practice.

It's not ideal to leave the strips in for that length of time ...the maximum recommended treatment period is 56 days and the optimum treatment duration is 6 weeks ... the reason for that this is to reduce any possibility of the varroa mites buiding up resistance to the active ingredient, Amitraz. Having said that there is only some evidence that mites are becoming resistance to this chemical.

By now the strips will be largely inactive but I would leave off putting on a super until a week ot two after removing the strips just to be on the safe side.

I would also choose a different varroa treatment next season so the mites are not re-exposed to the Amitraz again in the same year.

Make a note for the future though ... not good practice.

I would say something....but I've just bitten the end of my tongue off.

Pargyle and I had a discussion on an unrelated topic some days ago. He'll understand.
No worries - am happy to hear your opinion. Don’t worry I can take the criticism.

I've done it by accident. The strips were truly propalised. There is no withdrawal period for Amitraz strips so supers can go straight on.
As for resistance, Hivemaker who is a forum member and runs a large unit in Devon is reporting widespread resistance on his twitter feed so I think that problem is already here

I've done it by accident. The strips were truly propalised. There is no withdrawal period for Amitraz strips so supers can go straight on.
As for resistance, Hivemaker who is a forum member and runs a large unit in Devon is reporting widespread resistance on his twitter feed so I think that problem is already here
Thank you

I was wondering talking about strips being propolised, half way through treatment repositioning and scraping or scratching the propolis of the strips is a must.
As soon as they get propolised they wouldn't work? Even after a few weeks (3) or at least not 100% would this in turn contribute to the resistance?

Should I remove them immediately? Still a bit cold here but I could just do it quickly?

Should I remove them immediately? Still a bit cold here but I could just do it quickly?
I would just do it as and when the weather is good enough, apologies dani for answering your question.
Perhaps do it when you put your super on.

Their is research though to show that scratching the strips and moving them half way through treatment increases the efficacy. As for leaving them in, yes hand up, found one in hive this season i had missed. We all do it.

Their is research though to show that scratching the strips and moving them half way through treatment increases the efficacy. As for leaving them in, yes hand up, found one in hive this season i had missed. We all do it.
Do you have any evidence for this pls?

Yes ... I'd heard that but I thought he had only been usinng OA for several years ... makes you wonder where the evidence of resistance is coming from. As you know I'm not a great fan of miticide treatments - they work effectively as insecticides by the bees spreading the chemical througout the hive. I am also aware that there is no (recommended) withdrawal period prior to supering ... but, after that length of time with the strips in who knows what residue is left in the colony. Have you read the health & safety sheets about what effect Amitraz has on humans ... ? Personally, if there is no desperate need to get the supers on I would rather leave them off for a while ... whilst not wishing to see this thread consigned to the cupboard under the stairs - when did you last trust anything a pharmaceutical company recommended when there is a selling point involved ...

The Apiarist hits the nail on the head:

"And now the bad news. Beekeepers also have alpha-adrenoreceptors and octopamine receptors. So do dogs and fish and bees. Although amitraz has increased specificity for the receptors in mites and ticks, it can also interact with the receptors in other organisms. Consequently, amitraz can be toxic. In fact, if you ingest enough it can be very toxic. Symptoms of amitraz intoxication include CNS depression, respiratory failure, miosis, hypothermia, hyperglycemia, loss of consciousness, vomiting and bradycardia.

And it can kill you.

Admittedly, the doses required to achieve this are large, but it’s worth being aware of what you’re dealing with. Amitraz-containing strips should be used only as described in the instructions for use, handled with gloves and discarded responsibly after use.
"

Back