LED lighting in the Honey House, big improvement.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterbees

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I recently replaced the 8ft fluorescent strip lights in my honey house with 6ft LED strip lights, and I've noticed that the lights no longer attract bees. It's a better light to work under and it saves energy. My local electrician replaced all four strip lights in a couple of hours.

I recently replaced the 8ft fluorescent strip lights in my honey house with 6ft LED strip lights, and I've noticed that the lights no longer attract bees. It's a better light to work under and it saves energy. My local electrician replaced all four strip lights in a couple of hours.
The light from LEDs is more direct than fluoresces!
I fitted them in my garage and soon discovered their limitations!
Careful positioning is required as the illumination covers a smaller area , unless they are immediately above the work area but slightly in front, you find yourself in your own light .

That’s good to know - planning a honey house at the moment- any other tips?

I replaced our kitchen fluorescent with a lidl LED fluorescent tube. Lower power, more light, instant light at turn-on, no 50Hz strobing or buzzing, no waiting for full brilliance (like fluorescents), no starter to keep going duff, even light distribution (same as the old fluorescent). An all round definite improvement from every angle, including that of my wife (no excuse for leaving the light on for ages, when not needed).

I had bought two examples as a trial. One is now in my workshop. Wish I had bought more of the same as they are easily installed in place of the old strip light, light in weight, completely sealed, etc etc.

I expect they use ultraviolet LEDs and the same, or similar, tube fluorescent coatings as the old ones - excepting there being no need for mercury in the tube.

Having been in the business, I would recommend that when buying LED (sorry, a TLA) luminaires, look for the CRI rating. This stands for Colour Rendering Index (OMG another TLA!) and refers to the quality of the light produced. Broadly speaking if it is above 90% it is good, if it is below 80% it is crap, but there are plenty of guides online that will help.

I assume that most people know about the 'temperature rating' of the light produced. The light from a luminaire of 5,500k to 6,500k approximates to the 'whiteness' of daylight, whereas 2000k approximates to the 'whiteness' (not the power) of a candle. Close to daylight is needed for reading or work (and can be required in industrial envronments), but would not be advisable for a romantic dinner á deux. Again there is plenty of guidance and explanation available online.

The lighting that I put in my own workshop is >5,000k with a high CRI

Back