Leatherwood honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggles

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
loads
Hi
I'm lucky enough to have a 60ft eucryphia tree in my garden. The bees are all over it and the flow is on. I know this is called Leatherwood honey but can I sell it as that?

Pete

I'm looking forward to this answer as I've always wondered, how can you say ***** honey - when the bees are all over everything? Unless they've been on Heather or sim. obviously...

Not unless the other pollens present in the honey do not exceed ....(ask Trading Standards or google it for the actaul figures)

Regards, RAB

Don't know as I'd fancy something called "Leatherwood Honey." Doesn't really sound appealing but then, what do I know.....
Cazza

Thanks for the answers. Leatherwood honey is very sort after if you believe what you read on the net ;)

Just got to find out the % now then but there can't be many thing in flower at the mo around here.

Pete

Very sought after in the states.

And in word no you can't.

If you were in Leatherwood country and you had a very substantial amount of said pollen in your honey then yes.

Heather honey is pretty straightforward in that respect. However... if it is from the moor but not Ling then it is "Heather from the Heather Moor"

PH

A few pics of my girls in the Eucryphia tree

DSC_0248.jpg

DSC_0243.jpg

And the wife
DSC00024-2.jpg

Back