Leather or plastic/silicon gloves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggravated

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I know that it depends on the colony, and that disposable plastic/silicon gloves are better for bee hygiene, so what do most people use. If you are a leather glove user, do you have a preference, and do you sanitize the gloves after use, and what with. I would like to use the plastic option, but keep getting stung, I suppose practice makes perfect.

I know that it depends on the colony, and that disposable plastic/silicon gloves are better for bee hygiene, so what do most people use. If you are a leather glove user, do you have a preference, and do you sanitize the gloves after use, and what with. I would like to use the plastic option, but keep getting stung, I suppose practice makes perfect.
Having tried all kinds I have found the very best compromise. You can now buy blue rubber gloves with gauntlets. These are lined and thicker than marigolds and the stings
do not get through. You need to take great care to pick a close fit..
In this way you have the dexterity that leather never allows, as washable as marigolds yet sting proof

Having tried all kinds I have found the very best compromise. You can now buy blue rubber gloves with gauntlets. These are lined and thicker than marigolds and the stings
In this way you have the dexterity that leather never allows, as washable as marigolds yet sting proof

Really? I have friends who use them and they tell of stings going thro.

Being stung frequently can be due to:
aggressive bees - requeen.
clumsy handling - jarring, etc..
Beekeeper has BO or unsuitable scent/after shave... obvious solutions...

I'd look to the cause .

I keep with no gloves and have only 11 stings this year so far... less than 2/week since March - so negligible..

I use them all the time, they are brilliant if not a little sweaty! But.... Had a stroppy swarm and took over 80 stings out, none went through! Looked like a pin cushion!
E

I have;

A pair of blue rubber/gauntlets bomb-proof and easily cleaned,
Kid leather gauntlets for handling moody bees in my own apiary,
Baby powder for my hands which seems to mollify them and stops fingers getting gummed up! plus you can tell if they're about to sting because you feel their grip increase.

I would add my vote for these. Can't remember when I was last stung through these glove, easy to clean in washing soda between hives, yes a tad sweaty and can be as difficult as leather gloves to get off. Get the smallest pair that will fit to aid dexterity.

I keep with no gloves and have only 11 stings this year so far... less than 2/week since March - so negligible..

I've had three and that's three too many. One through the suit on my forearm and two through the gloves. I was dealing with an aggressive colony I was re queening though. I've now bought some gauntlet sleeves to protect the lower arms. If I'd had eleven I'd be getting a suit of armour! :)

madasafish;410977 I keep with no gloves and have only 11 stings this year so far... less than 2/week since March - so negligible..[/QUOTE said:
11 hits is 11 more than I would want to put up with! Not negligible in my world.
Cazza

I use vinyl gloves. I like bare hands, as you're more careful, but propolis makes handwashing constant so I tend to wear the gloves.

The leather gloves were awful, made me cack-handed and once cleaned, difficult to break in again.

I was given a pair of those and the stings will go through, but they're not nice. It's like trying to use chopsticks with wellies on your hands.

Latest posts

Back