leather glove cleaning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splash

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Who uses leather glove's ? and what do you use to clean them ?

I would get rid of them and use rubber/latex gloves. Much easier and more hygenic. Leather is a swine to clean and it tends to go hard after being cleaned. :cheers2:

Propolis is extremely difficult to get off leather

I agree with Veg and Jim, Bin them and use thin marigold type. I think I pay about £6 for 12 Pairs(50p a pair) alot cheaper and better than leather, and you can afford to throw them.

Wear a pair of latex gloves over the top of them,then they won't get dirty.

I've got a pair of leather gloves that I bought as part of a kit from Thornes. I find them a bit too cumbersome when handling the frames, however they are reassuringly thick! I have a supply from work of disposable gloves but I have read somewhere that bees don't like the colour blue - the gloves are blue - is this ok to wear on one's hands?!

POP them on and find out,If you have leather underneath they will do no harm if they do turn nasty.

I discovered I was a ten times better bee handler than I thought I was when I stopped using leather gloves and took to the nitrile.
I agree with the others. Bin them. I can't think of a single bee related activity where leather gloves would be of benefit. Maybe lifting a load of supers as the nitrile tend to tear.

I used leather gloves years ago,but find (after my leather ones were wrecked by mice) marigold gloves with flock linings perfectly adequate and have never used leather since.
I also believe as they are non porous and regularly changed there is less chance of transfering undesirable disease from hive to hive using rubber gloves.

i buy and use the nitrile surgical gloves off ebay, get them in boxes of 100's/500's etc.

i do think leather gloves are handy when working a nasty hive, or a strain of bee that crawl all over your hands like the carnis i have, if i need to do any work that involves more speed and lifting and shifting, leather gives good protection and i can also pull up nettles and brambles about the apiary.

I'd like to use nitrile gloves. I bought a big box from ebay, but when I put them on last week to do a hive inspection, there was a big gap of exposed skin where my sleeve joined the glove, so I went back to the leather gloves. Maybe I need to try a different size? I don't really like the leather gloves, I'm too clumsy with them.

there was a big gap of exposed skin where my sleeve joined the glove, .

I always have that, but have never had an issue with it.

The better handling of the bees you gain and cleannes of the gloves i.e no smell of old stings leads to (for me) zero stings.

but when I put them on last week to do a hive inspection, there was a big gap of exposed skin where my sleeve joined the glove, so I went back to the leather gloves.

You need to get yourself a pair of white cotton sports socks and cut the toes out and use them as wrist guards.

Frisbee

, but when I put them on last week to do a hive inspection, there was a big gap of exposed skin where my sleeve joined the glove, so I went back to the leather gloves.

To get round this problem, I wear two pairs of socks with the toe cut out on each wrist and I pull the nitrile glove over the end of the sock.

Frisbee:
great minds think alike (or fools seldom differ!)
We posted at the same time.

I'd like to use nitrile gloves. I bought a big box from ebay, but when I put them on last week to do a hive inspection, there was a big gap of exposed skin where my sleeve joined the glove, so I went back to the leather gloves. Maybe I need to try a different size? I don't really like the leather gloves, I'm too clumsy with them.
Nitrile gloves are available with long cuffs, no much dearer than standard.:).

John Wilkinson

You need to get yourself a pair of white cotton sports socks and cut the toes out and use them as wrist guards.

Frisbee

Mine are black from Primark so I can't agree with you there.

Latest posts

Back