Leasing land for bees any concerns?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jannie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Are there any concerns I should have if I decide to lease my land to a beekeeper? Someone is interested and I'm not sure if I have to have more insurance, or anything I might be liable for if someone got hurt.

the beekeeper should get his own public liability insurance, normally through a club he/she belongs too, if not tell them to get some

the beekeeper should get his own public liability insurance, normally through a club he/she belongs too, if not tell them to get some

Agree, either through the Farmer union, Bee farmers Assocoation or BBKA

a BBKA member holds £10m public liabilty insurance and should be able to log on to the BBKA web site and print off an insurance certificate

Or you could just sue him if anything goes wrong

Are there any concerns I should have if I decide to lease my land to a beekeeper? Someone is interested and I'm not sure if I have to have more insurance, or anything I might be liable for if someone got hurt.

Aside from insurance for public liability, you might wish to clarify who maintains the boundaries (gates, fences, walls, etc.) and who cuts the vegetation on site and on the access. Who looks after the access? You might also want to specify whether or not any storage other than the in-use hives is permitted.

Think about the things that can go wrong, like fire, chemicals, trips and falls, theft vandalism and assign the risks arising from those hazards to either the tenant or yourself. If you search this forum, you will find a thread from probably 6 to 8 weeks ago where the question of a lease agreement was discussed at some length. You might find something relevant there.

CVB

Thanks for the information. Will try to search for it on site.

As honeybees are now classified as food producing stock when in a hive under the control and ownership of the beekeeper, it may not be allowed to keep them on land that is "setaside"

Stock is not allowed to be kept on setaside.

I recently had such an offer of an apiary site, but after some discussion with the landowner, he found me a corner that was still part of the productive farm.

Possibly a point worth consideration.

Yeghes da

As honeybees are now classified as food producing stock when in a hive under the control and ownership of the beekeeper, it may not be allowed to keep them on land that is "setaside"

Stock is not allowed to be kept on setaside.

Yeghes da

Now isn't that just the height of stupidity ! The one creature that would actually enhance set aside land is banned from it ... what is the world comng to ?

Now isn't that just the height of stupidity ! The one creature that would actually enhance set aside land is banned from it ... what is the world comng to ?

:iagree:
not only that, unless the land in question is more than a couple of square miles, it makes no difference at all to that land whether the bees are inside or outside of it, they'll forage where the flowers are, not where the hive is.

You have your Location as "WI" - is this Wisconsin or London W1?

If Wisconsin then UK-related insurance rules might not apply.

Latest posts

Back