Laying worker?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
<Tonight - wait at least three weeks before intoducing to replace a DLQ

Last Night - dissolve 10kg sugar in 5 litres of water and expect only 5 litres of solution.>

Sadly now you're lying.

I said nothing about introducing to replace a DLQ.

I said dissolve 10kg of sugar to 5 litres of water and commented that the 'actual' volume would be somewhat greater (due to the dissolved sugar..)

You're very hostile comments have been reported to Admin.

Its not nice for old or new members to read threads like this.

I have delt with the matter and hope it does not happen to often!!

Admin.

i had the same problem last year with a Lw the way i sorted it out was to shack all of them out abot 50 ft away. the flying bees found the way back to the hive but the younge bees wich will prob be the lw as never left the hive so do not no the location of the hive, they sadly went to bee heaven. i added a frame of new eggs and brood and then left them to make a new queen. it seemed to work for me. hope that helps.

i had the same problem last year with a Lw the way i sorted it out was to shack all of them out abot 50 ft away. the flying bees found the way back to the hive but the younge bees wich will prob be the lw as never left the hive so do not no the location of the hive, they sadly went to bee heaven. i added a frame of new eggs and brood and then left them to make a new queen. it seemed to work for me. hope that helps.

Thanks Dale. It's worth a shot isn't it? Saying that, they are not my bees so we'll see whats what, then go from there.

well sounds like they are in trouble any way nothing to lose good luck Kasmcc

Kaz, it might be brutal, but I'd say to them, "if you can't join an association / club for beekeepers, then I can't help you, sorry!"

Kaz - I don't know what your current feelings are towards these folk, but it strikes me that if your hives are close together and both have just the one , you could voluntarily help each other out - as everyone says to hives is easier to manage than one.

Just a thought and you may not want to cosy up to queen rustlers

Kaz - I don't know what your current feelings are towards these folk, but it strikes me that if your hives are close together and both have just the one , you could voluntarily help each other out - as everyone says to hives is easier to manage than one.

Just a thought and you may not want to cosy up to queen rustlers

I really don't fancy such dozy people coming anywhere near our colony. If I give an inkling of co operation they may feel they can play beekeeper with ours. That ain't happening. I would help them with a frame of eggs from the shallow brood box, but we are completely honeyblocked at the moment. I've not been through since I saw the eggs but I reckon we've only got a couple of frames of brood anyway until they move all their stores up to the new super. Last time I looked they'd packed the deep brood with capped stores and some open stores in the brood area, and there was only about 5 frames with any room. That was 2 or 3 weeks back, so I reckon we've only got 3 partial frames of brood at best right now. We are just not in a position to help them in that way.

I remember the queen rustling story and know how upsetting that was, so I can see that it may not seem natural to co-operate. I think it would be to your advantage to try to though. Co-operating doesn't mean that they are allowed to touch your colony or you theirs though... I think it means that if you need a test frame of eggs, you can get one from them, that you try to arrange to do your varroa treatments at the same time, ideally that you talk about and agree to ring each other if you see that one of the colonies has been vandalised.

The drones at least from your neighbours bees will enter your colony. It would be good if they had low varroa loads.

Karin

I remember the queen rustling story and know how upsetting that was, so I can see that it may not seem natural to co-operate. I think it would be to your advantage to try to though. Co-operating doesn't mean that they are allowed to touch your colony or you theirs though... I think it means that if you need a test frame of eggs, you can get one from them, that you try to arrange to do your varroa treatments at the same time, ideally that you talk about and agree to ring each other if you see that one of the colonies has been vandalised.

The drones at least from your neighbours bees will enter your colony. It would be good if they had low varroa loads.

Karin

The sad thing is, if they had asked us I would have sorted them a frame of eggs from the shallow brood, not one of the whopping great big drawn ones from the middle of our deep brood box!

Anyway, seems his nose has been put out of joint. The wife was quite eager to get some help in and wanted me to help them, but at the fundraiser the other day there were some pretty negative vibes coming from his direction :icon_bs:

I think his nose may have been put out of joint with him a) having kept bees longer than me, b) him thinking he was the big cheese and little old me couldn't possibly have coped without his overseeing my beekeeping activities, then me solving the problems he caused us all on my own and c) me being a lowly single mum and him being a professional type. I also think he was a bit put out by my mentor pointing out that what he was pointing at and saying was our queen was in fact a drone. :banghead:

Oh well, the offer is still there. Can't help some people. His poor wife looked very uncomfortable.

I don't, but I know some people do. They doubt your intelligence.

Update. Just heard they've given up beekeeping. Don't know what's happened to the bees, probably just left to their own devices. So, rather than accept my help, they have called it a day.

Suits me. Some people are just too dim to keep bees. Harsh, but true.

kazmcc said:
Update. Just heard they've given up beekeeping. Don't know what's happened to the bees, probably just left to their own devices. So, rather than accept my help, they have called it a day.

So I was wondering about their equipment?;)

Ask them if they will donate the equip to your school tell them it will give them good publicity. people love seeing schools being helped out.

So I was wondering about their equipment?;)

I was thinking the same thing lol! Do you think he'd donate it to us? I have the feeling he'd rather it was left to rot than let me anywhere near it. You see he was the king of the hill with regards to beekeeping round here and I've kind of shown him up I think. Unintentionally of course, anyone who was even half competent would have shown his lack of knowledge. It just happened to be me.

I do worry about those bees. If they've got a DLQ then they've got a chance there. I'll see, his wife is happy to speak to me. It's a shame really, they had no guidance, but to be honest, the internet is full if information. I dunno....

I was thinking the same thing lol! Do you think he'd donate it to us? I have the feeling he'd rather it was left to rot than let me anywhere near it. You see he was the king of the hill with regards to beekeeping round here and I've kind of shown him up I think. Unintentionally of course, anyone who was even half competent would have shown his lack of knowledge. It just happened to be me.

I do worry about those bees. If they've got a DLQ then they've got a chance there. I'll see, his wife is happy to speak to me. It's a shame really, they had no guidance, but to be honest, the internet is full if information. I dunno....

it seems they have decided to leave the beekeeping to the professional.

same problem here, a drone layer has got through queen excluder too and laid in supers also!!,
trying to find her is not easy.

Latest posts

Back