Laying during Inspection

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grizzly

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
For the first time in my little beekeeping life, i watched a Queen checking cells and laying whilst i was working the hive, i have always spotted the queen in other hives only to watch her then scuttle around the other side of the frame, this one (yes i am biased) is a real gem, so calm and chilled on the comb, she is now laying well as you can see from the pics, as this is my last colony i am pondering of perhaps double brood and then splitting in order to try and increase. Some of the bees are working rape but they always behave well and tolerate me so i would like to have more in that apiary with this Queens genes.

This was the queen i almost lost last year when i plopped a green blob on her, the bees immediately removed most of it, thats why it looks a bit tatty. Here she was laying, sorry about the bad pic.

Last edited:
great pics, good to see her in lay!
i see she is clipped, but not much left of her other wing!

Hi Grizzly,
Great shots. I love the one of the queen with her retinue.

It looks like you took a chunk out of the queens other wing when you clipped her.:D

Great shots, I hope for the same experience at some point ...... and that new protective is looking pretty dapper as well!

Great pics and I spot a nice new vented jacket you are wearing do you rate them?

Yes, i hold my hands up, this was the first and only time i clipped without restraining the queen, i apologise as its not a good advert.

But she is doing well.

Latest posts

Back