Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
For the first time in my little beekeeping life, i watched a Queen checking cells and laying whilst i was working the hive, i have always spotted the queen in other hives only to watch her then scuttle around the other side of the frame, this one (yes i am biased) is a real gem, so calm and chilled on the comb, she is now laying well as you can see from the pics, as this is my last colony i am pondering of perhaps double brood and then splitting in order to try and increase. Some of the bees are working rape but they always behave well and tolerate me so i would like to have more in that apiary with this Queens genes.

This was the queen i almost lost last year when i plopped a green blob on her, the bees immediately removed most of it, thats why it looks a bit tatty. Here she was laying, sorry about the bad pic.

Last edited:

MrB 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
great pics, good to see her in lay!
i see she is clipped, but not much left of her other wing!

wilderness 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 + 1 nucs
Hi Grizzly,
Great shots. I love the one of the queen with her retinue.

It looks like you took a chunk out of the queens other wing when you clipped her.:D

Rosti 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Great shots, I hope for the same experience at some point ...... and that new protective is looking pretty dapper as well!

VEG 

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
15+-some
Great pics and I spot a nice new vented jacket you are wearing do you rate them?

grizzly 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Yes, i hold my hands up, this was the first and only time i clipped without restraining the queen, i apologise as its not a good advert.

But she is doing well.

Latest posts