Latest from Defra on YLH

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read all the replies and imo it will ultimately be in our hands to solve a problem that is surely coming our way. Depending on any gov organisation is a fatal mistake. I will continue to learn as much as I can from those who have failed but learned and those who have had success.What is the capacity of Defra in terms of numbers of nests and timely intervention. Educating the public in a strategic way is imo critical, early spotting identification and location of nests will be the key to control.

Indeed.
This is why we need to work with and support the BBKAs efforts in this area. They ran an Asian Hornet week, a couple of weeks ago which encouraged everyone to increase awareness and put out monitoring stations. The BBKA website has some great resources available to all. Letter templates for local groups such as allotment groups and parish councils, letters to MPs etc and identification posters.
They have organised the Andrew Durham webinars, and created a tool to coordinate and record monitoring.
These things have resulted in incursions being reported and actions being taken.
What associations and branches must do is to get organised so that all BKs are aware of these resources, and motivate all BKs to participate. If we, as guardians of a sentinel species, can create a level of awareness so that AHs are reported early by everyone, I think we do stand a chance of holding it at bay until we have developed sophisticated protocols for any incursions.
We have learnt lessons from what has happened in France and I think so far we have been lucky and have had the time to correct the approach as we have gone along.
This is going to be a marathon, not a sprint, and it may be that in the very long term destruction of AH may be passed over to the UKs pest control community. In the meantime I would ask everyone to get on board with the BBKA on this.
I believe next monitoring event will be in the late spring, and it would be amazing to have every BK and nature watcher in the country to take some time out during that week to specifically look for AH and increase awarenss around the country.
Oh and perhaps we should all adopt the name Yellow Legged Hornet instead of AH to help with its identification by the general public :)

Indeed.
This is why we need to work with and support the BBKAs efforts in this area. They ran an Asian Hornet week, a couple of weeks ago which encouraged everyone to increase awareness and put out monitoring stations. The BBKA website has some great resources available to all. Letter templates for local groups such as allotment groups and parish councils, letters to MPs etc and identification posters.
They have organised the Andrew Durham webinars, and created a tool to coordinate and record monitoring.
These things have resulted in incursions being reported and actions being taken.
What associations and branches must do is to get organised so that all BKs are aware of these resources, and motivate all BKs to participate. If we, as guardians of a sentinel species, can create a level of awareness so that AHs are reported early by everyone, I think we do stand a chance of holding it at bay until we have developed sophisticated protocols for any incursions.
We have learnt lessons from what has happened in France and I think so far we have been lucky and have had the time to correct the approach as we have gone along.
This is going to be a marathon, not a sprint, and it may be that in the very long term destruction of AH may be passed over to the UKs pest control community. In the meantime I would ask everyone to get on board with the BBKA on this.
I believe next monitoring event will be in the late spring, and it would be amazing to have every BK and nature watcher in the country to take some time out during that week to specifically look for AH and increase awarenss around the country.
Oh and perhaps we should all adopt the name Yellow Legged Hornet instead of AH to help with its identification by the general public :)
The Yellow legged Hornet idea is spot on.It is all about publicity and marketing in a consumer friendly way, good post and very informative

The Yellow legged Hornet idea is spot on.It is all about publicity and marketing in a consumer friendly way, good post and very informative
mmm. try getting the media on board with that. Cant but help thinking that the right wing press will continue with 'Asian' to appeal to their gammon readership :LOL:

Latest posts

Back