Late swarms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Having just caught one, very small swarm 16/9/21 very dark bees possibly wild ( queen isn’t marked) I was thinking about where they could of come from and offer 2 possibilities.

1) farmers are only allowed to cut hedges after august. And possibly disturbing bee nests
2) farmers filling barns and sheds with hay straw etc and possibly disturbing bee nests.
Just a thought

Why must very dark bees be wild! Could well be carniolan or some buckfasts😉Your small swarm will be a cast so no the queen won’t be marked and I suggest most queens even in beeks hives aren’t marked anyway, many can’t even find them in the first place. As for bees in hedges if there not in a cavity chances of them surviving long term are negligible.

If it's a swarm (especially a small one) why does anything have to be 'disturbed' sounds like a bog standard late cast swarm to me. Is she laying yet?
I dummied down the nuc last night . And had a quick look. I saw the Queen so gave them some syrup with a plan to look for eggs Thursday when it’s supposed to get warmer .

Why must very dark bees be wild

I really ment native amm , in this case they are black and small. Other than that some wishful thinking. Perhaps.

But it does bear the question when do any bees become wild.
I guess you first have a lost swarm the daughter could be considered feral. Is then the granddaughter considered wild ???

why does anything have to be 'disturbed' sounds like a bog standard late cast swarm to

I have noted a few people remark on catching late swats and simply offering up a practical reason. That may not be linked to bee hive management.
The farmer here just cut some hedges which included felling an old tree. He also cleared a heap of scrap which had any number of cavities. Unfortunatly non occupied.🧐

Latest posts

Back