Late swarms

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

Markthebuilder 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Having just caught one, very small swarm 16/9/21 very dark bees possibly wild ( queen isn’t marked) I was thinking about where they could of come from and offer 2 possibilities.

1) farmers are only allowed to cut hedges after august. And possibly disturbing bee nests
2) farmers filling barns and sheds with hay straw etc and possibly disturbing bee nests.
Just a thought

jenkinsbrynmair 

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
If it's a swarm (especially a small one) why does anything have to be 'disturbed' sounds like a bog standard late cast swarm to me. Is she laying yet?

drex 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Than God for that. Otherwise they would swarm at every inspection.:)

Ian123 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Why must very dark bees be wild! Could well be carniolan or some buckfasts😉Your small swarm will be a cast so no the queen won’t be marked and I suggest most queens even in beeks hives aren’t marked anyway, many can’t even find them in the first place. As for bees in hedges if there not in a cavity chances of them surviving long term are negligible.

Markthebuilder 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
If it's a swarm (especially a small one) why does anything have to be 'disturbed' sounds like a bog standard late cast swarm to me. Is she laying yet?
I dummied down the nuc last night . And had a quick look. I saw the Queen so gave them some syrup with a plan to look for eggs Thursday when it’s supposed to get warmer .

Markthebuilder 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Why must very dark bees be wild
I really ment native amm , in this case they are black and small. Other than that some wishful thinking. Perhaps.

But it does bear the question when do any bees become wild.
I guess you first have a lost swarm the daughter could be considered feral. Is then the granddaughter considered wild ???

Markthebuilder 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
why does anything have to be 'disturbed' sounds like a bog standard late cast swarm to
I have noted a few people remark on catching late swats and simply offering up a practical reason. That may not be linked to bee hive management.
The farmer here just cut some hedges which included felling an old tree. He also cleared a heap of scrap which had any number of cavities. Unfortunatly non occupied.🧐

Swarm 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 30, less than 100.
You will never be sure but nurturing them, if successful, will certainly make them special.

Latest posts