Late harvest post apiguard treatment.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteeveeTee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I have a WBC with 9 frames of bees on 6 frames of brood (there is only a frame of eggs roughly at the mo, if that). I put a super on last week (there is local heather and plenty of ivy to come) and they drew all the comb and have almost filled with honey in a week.

I have placed the super under the brood box, I am sticking to my original plan of this being part of their winter stores and only feeding them if they run low ( I understand the cost implications, and the potential benefits of feeding honey from research cited in another thread). I will keep bees on brood and half next year using the comb in the super.

I have also started the Apiguard treatment. So my question -
When the first pack is cleared out, there will be a two week gap before I put on the next pack. Is it likely to cause any problems if I stick another super on top of the bb with QE (they will need to draw comb and fill with honey), which might take up to mid september? I can't see that Ive got anything to lose, am I right?

Presumably you want ivy honey?
Personally I wouldn't waste my time with a qe, leave both supers on top of the brood and let the bees have it!

The whole point of treating varroa over a 2 pack 4 week period is that this gets those mites that aren't dealt with on the first stage of the treatment. Leave a gap of two weeks and they will regenerate their breeding and you will have wasted the first pack imho.

I think the OP means that he imagines the bees will clear out the Apiguard in short order leaving none in the hive till he puts on the next dose two weeks after the first.

no - i think OP is confused.

first dose put in and left for two weeks.
second dose added and again left for 2-4 weeks.

no "gap" without treatment.

There should be no gap, it should take them 2 weeks to empty the tray. Very often the first tray hasn't been cleared by the time the second goes on, and there are debates as to whether to remove the remains of the old or smear it on the top bars.

Agreed as above- if the treatment isn't continuous it ain't gonna work.

Ahem, sorry to waste your time, OP was confused ( I had misinterpreted a bit of info from another website) my mistake.

Thanks for your responses, I'll get my coat...

Latest posts

Back