last years supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojomoo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The bees had not cleaned off my wet supers quite as well as I would have liked last year and im left with some mouldy patches and the smell of fermented honey.

Will they clean these off well enough to use for this years honey?

I always store my supers wet, I find that when put on the bees go up and clean them within hours. Have never had any problems with subsequent honey stored in them.

You could help matters by spraying the old frames with warm water or weak syrup?

I have just put two of eight frames on I had stored in the garage from last year.

I scored the sealed wax then dipped them in warm water, then layed then flat next to each other in an Eke above a crown board which I have put a small hole in, the idea is that they will rob it down to some extra frames I have put on. I was surprised to see how much water came from under the sealed wax, this is a first for me. Wrong or right, I dont know it
was part of a plan to keep them busy while I am on holiday and hopefully be more interested in transfering the honey into these extra frames rather than swarm ??? Will just have to see what happens !

I have just put two of eight frames on I had stored in the garage from last year.

I scored the sealed wax then dipped them in warm water, then layed then flat next to each other in an Eke above a crown board which I have put a small hole in, the idea is that they will rob it down to some extra frames I have put on. I was surprised to see how much water came from under the sealed wax, this is a first for me. Wrong or right, I dont know it
was part of a plan to keep them busy while I am on holiday and hopefully be more interested in transfering the honey into these extra frames rather than swarm ??? Will just have to see what happens !

One of the main triggers for swarming is running out of space, I'm not sure how giving them a load of honey is supposed to prevent this?

I gave them a spare super with undrawn foundation on top of the third full one they already had, thought it would keep them busy as I could do with the frames they are cleaning out, thought this would give them more than enough space. Had I put the two frames on the third full super only, then yes I would expect the colony to become congested. Just tried this out, hope it dosnt back fire !

Latest posts

Back