Last years fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam C Ryan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All. I have about 5klgs of fondant l bought last year but it got very hard since l used it last . Is there anything l can do to make it edible again for the bees.
Regards
Liam C

ditto Veg and put it in airing cupboard for couple of days to warm through, which will make it easier to work

make sure it's 100% sealed

Put it in the microwave for a few seconds at a time until it is soft again, then work in some extra water. The bees will still use it if hard though, just they need to collect a little extra water, from in or out of the hive.

HM

slightly off topic but how long would you advise in a MWave to re-liquify a 1 lb jar of half crystallised honey?

richard

just leave it on top of a radiator for a day or so

We had two whole 12 kg packs at the apiary from two years ago which I'd written off as it was rock hard. What with one thing and another kept forgetting to take it away and dispose of it - with the last few months of extremely damp weather it has re-hydrated itself and has now got to the point it's in danger of getting too soft!

just leave it on top of a radiator for a day or so

thanks worldsend but these are jars from local shop display - a day on a radiator wrinkles the labels

I've re-liquefied set honey by microwaving it for 30 seconds.

Thanks to all for your help, good to know l wont have to throw it out.
Liam C

Last year I used Foundation that had sat in the pack for two years in some supers, no water spray, no heating in the airing cupboard. The bees Drew it out and used it no problem.

Whoops, I need to learn to read. Ah well, at least it saves anyone asking the same question about foundation.

HM

slightly off topic but how long would you advise in a MWave to re-liquify a 1 lb jar of half crystallised honey?

richard
I stand mine in a slow-cooker. You can use a pan of hot water to do the same thing.

dishmop

thanks but that means re-labelling.
As beejoyful suggests I put 2 jars at full power for 30 secs earlier and after an hour they werer back to clear/runny with no damage to the labels....
richard

nb for newish beekeepers:

A) you MUST remove the lids first

B) I suggest you empty the jar of honey before re-labelling as probably some detergent is needed to remove traces of old adhesive.

Latest posts

Back