Last weeks swarm, doing ok!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merylvingien

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
I was going to leave it a couple more days before doing an inspection on last weeks swarm, but work is building up and my mentor said lets do it, so!

They have drawn all 5 frames out lovely, the queen is there somewhere although as this was a quick inspection to see what is happening, we didnt go looking.
She is laying across three frames.

Here are a few photos that i snapped...

IMG_4019resize.jpg

IMG_4022resize.jpg

IMG_4023resize-1.jpg

IMG_4025resize.jpg

A swarm drawing foundation is a sight to behold. We lifted the crownboard of our large swarm, and we saw masses of lovely pale white comb. Full inspection next week.

A week on, and i am on my own, so i made a frame holder that i can plonk on the top of the bb and take a photo of each side, it works pretty well.

This frame looks ok to me...

IMG_4049resize.jpg

IMG_4049resizeclose.jpg

This one i am not too sure of, maybe its just the angle the photo was taken. Do the larvea look ok to trained eyes?

IMG_4051resize.jpg

IMG_4051resizeclose.jpg

IMG_4051resize2.jpg

First time i seen the queen, but i got her name and address..

IMG_4057resize.jpg

The second swarm i collected is another story, one frame with some brood, didnt see the queen or any eggs and there was plenty of play cups available to gawp at. I couldnt see any larvea in these play cups though. I may have to get the mentor to come and have look.

On the bright side, those new rubber gloves work a treat.

looks very good. A few more brood cycles and they will be good for a full size hive.

Cheers, actually that lot are already in a commercial BB.

I will try and get some photos of the other lot, which dont appear to be doing so well, its only been a week mind, so hopefully they will sort themselves out and get going.

Is it normal for a new queen to lay up some brood, then stop for a while?
Or once she starts, does she just bang on?

I am concerned that i didnt see any eggs in the second box, or her. I will leave a couple days and go back for second look. Maybe with a magnifying glass!

Latest posts

Back