Larvae to queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 Hives
Today I went back into a couple of hives that I removed the queen to a nucleus for swarm control on Wed 20th April, I removed all of the sealed and unsealed queen cells leaving just one large open queen cell in each. This was a day before the recommended 7 days, due to tomorrow being colder weather around here. I saw quite a few uncapped worker larvae, which must have been 6 days or older. Would the bees attempt to raise more queens from these? I am thinking they are too old for that to be possible, can someone please advise the oldest larvae that can make a queen.

If a 3 day old larvae (day 6) was used for an emergency queen, would it still get sealed on day 8 and emerge on day 16, if the workers allow it?

Thank you, for interest I went into the two hives that I revisited on 6 days after queen was removed to a nuc (instead of 7 days), now at another 7 days on, the uncapped marked queen cell I left look good, a large capped cells in each hive. One hive had a very small capped cell they must have made from the 3 day old larvae, which I removed.
The queens should be mature for mating mid month, the forecast here is 20 deg around that time, so looking good.

Thank you, for interest I went into the two hives that I revisited on 6 days after queen was removed to a nuc (instead of 7 days), now at another 7 days on, the uncapped marked queen cell I left look good, a large capped cells in each hive. One hive had a very small capped cell they must have made from the 3 day old larvae, which I removed.
The queens should be mature for mating mid month, the forecast here is 20 deg around that time, so looking good.
Great. Hope it comes together. It's wonderful when it does

Latest posts

Back