larvae on grafting tool

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
i am in th process of making up a powerpoint presentation on queen rearing and colony increase and am looking for a picture of a day old larvae on the end of a grafting tool. i looked around the internet and this was the best one i could find.
Any one got one that is better. Please.

I hope you find one on the end of a decent grafting tool....

PH

Each to their own Heather, I have never managed the paint brush despite trying several. I use a double cranked stainless grafting tool and find it works very well for me. *shrug*

PH

I make a grafting stick from tree twig with knife. The sharp tip I bend to hook.Freshly made it is sterile.

I've had some success by trimming my own feathers.

I'll reword that to avoid ambiguity...

I've tried goose and duck quills trimmed to shape and they work well.

Sorry no pictures.

HM - thank you for the hint where to find those pictures. One of them illustrates very well that a larva of the correct age lies in an arc - anything like a semi-circle is too old. This was my undoing when I first started grafting - choosing larva which were too old so they end up undernourished and also had a tendency to emerge before I was expecting them - which resulted in the loss of at least one batch of queens. Now I use hair rolllers just in case it happens again.

Latest posts

Back