large swarm in nuc?!?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curry756

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hello. I have just collected a HUGE swarm and all I had to put it in was a 6 frame travel hive thing with frames. No real hardware left. Its a crap all in on thing with a solid floor with no real ventilation. I collected them in the dark so I didnt have much time to think about it. Got them all in and bought them home and they are now in the garden. Since being home I have found a wbc vmf, 2 national supers, cb, qe, 2 wbc lifts and a wbc roof. Oh and 6 super frames with foundation.

So I will get up at 5am and transfer them over using the supers as a bb and bulk out the frames with the super frames.

Just hoping the survive the night and are still there in the am.

Then at some point over the next few days I can get some more frames and kit.

Fingers crossed. Will post a pic tomorrow.

If they were collected from outside then they should be a lot better off in your box, especially if your experiencing the sudden change in weather that we are here, as long as they can exit if too warm!

Well they survived until 5am, so I moved them into the double super. with a QX at the bottom. They should be good in there.

Will have a think about what I want to do next. As its not really a long term home and I am off for 2 weeks to Thailand (hopefully) on sunday.

I could build up 14x12 frames - I think these would fit into the double supers. then I can leave them until I get back.

Oh and I need to start saying :nono: when I get called about swarms too

They should be good in there.

Should hopefully, but next thing is to remove the QX, especially before leaving for two weeks.

Every time someone mentions 'huge' swarm, I think of the increased possibility of a virgin queen. Think about it, quite possible.

They will need supering, as well.

that's not a large swarm - a decent sized swarm would have similar outline BUT no post!!!!!

Ahh cool - I'm reasonably new to all this and it looked pretty big to me. All I had spare was a standard sized national traveling nuc :-( So I was a bit worried if they were all going to go in once I turned up.

In that case the other swarms I have collected this year were tiny ;)

Need to buy more kit for next year too!?!

They should be good in there.

Should hopefully, but next thing is to remove the QX, especially before leaving for two weeks.

Every time someone mentions 'huge' swarm, I think of the increased possibility of a virgin queen. Think about it, quite possible.

They will need supering, as well.

Great - thanks!

Yeah expected virgin - read somewhere to expect ALL swarms to be virgin and only keep QX on for 24-48 hrs only. The plan was to keep the QX under until I had built frames and replaced them. Will prob take it out on sunday to be honest. Will look to build the frames tonight and get them in tomorrow. Then remove QX Sunday.

Ahh you mention a super - very good call as I wouldn't have thought about that.

Now off to find another super :-(

as mentioned previously - I need more hardware for next year

Thanks for taking the time to reply - appreciate the knowledge sharing.
:thanks:

If they were collected from outside then they should be a lot better off in your box, especially if your experiencing the sudden change in weather that we are here, as long as they can exit if too warm!

That was my thinking too - crazy rain and thunder here over last day or so. Thought they could decide what they wanted - either stay in the box or leave and swarm again. Would rather they made that choice than me opting to leave them on the fence post in that weather.

All moved into new home now, so should want to stay there now.

Thanks!

read somewhere to expect ALL swarms to be virgin

Wrong again or out of context. I know that a prime swarm from a colony with unclipped queen and without any queen cells sufficiently advanced will have the old queen present.

However it is good to assume she might be a virgin if no other evidence is available. Subtle differences need consideration.

read somewhere to expect ALL swarms to be virgin

Wrong again or out of context. I know that a prime swarm from a colony with unclipped queen and without any queen cells sufficiently advanced will have the old queen present.

However it is good to assume she might be a virgin if no other evidence is available. Subtle differences need consideration.

Sorry you are right. Assume they are all virgin unless evidence otherwise.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back