Large rubber bands?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
I know a few of you have done 'feral to hive moves' and used large rubber bands to hold comb in place, anyone know where to get very large rubber bands for 14x12 size frames?

ta

You may find that on 14 x 12s they are just a bit too big for a rubber band to cope .
Why not tack some frame pins onto one side , lay any comb on top and cut to fit , then wire t'other side for support . Even then thinking about it the comb may slump under its own weight .
Standard brood frame may be the way to go ? then fill either side with the deeper ones with foundation .
George

I tied natural comb with foundation wire around the frame . It kept strickly straight the comb. Missig parts I repaired with foundation pieces. I put the comb agaist the lower frame slice and and I put foundation pieces to the upper part.

The comb I gove to the big hive which repaired it during next night.

- So put the comb inside the frame.
- mark a line of comb edges to the foundation
- make a comb like hole into foundation
- glue with melted wax the comb into foundation

I know a few of you have done 'feral to hive moves' and used large rubber bands to hold comb in place, anyone know where to get very large rubber bands for 14x12 size frames?

ta

I`d like to know as well.
I looked in Staples a couple of weeks ago but couldnt find anything suitable.

Darren.

local garage. ask for car innertube slightly smaller than depth of frame. cut across wall of tube with scissors to whatever width required and hey presto rubber bands.

postmen/women do also have huge red rubber bands, we sometime find them on the floor in good nick, but if you ask your local one they may give you some. Having said that not sure they'd be strong enough. May cut down on wiring though, some wire the rest bands????

For 14x12 thin garden wire, take 3/4 turns evenly spread vertically and then one horizontal and tie off, works fine and pretty quick. R

postmen/women do also have huge red rubber bands, we sometime find them on the floor in good nick, but if you ask your local one they may give you some. Having said that not sure they'd be strong enough. May cut down on wiring though, some wire the rest bands????

These are big enough for standard BS frames. I've collected lots of them when walking the dog and I stick them in my Beek toolbox. I used them to put drawn comb from Langstroth frames into National frames. I spent an hour recently watching the bees chucking the remains of one of the elastic bands out through the entrance block.

Try a model shop for rubber bands.

Some model planes use them for holding the wings on....

Office supply store, Staples or the like.
I actually use straight rubber grafting and budding ties and knot them together in whatever size I need.

You can also get elastic thread. I've used it for fishing to hold the bait on. Try a knitting shop for it. Only draw back I can see is would need knotting but tying comb into frames is best done with an assistant anyway.

You can also get elastic thread. I've used it for fishing to hold the bait on. Try a knitting shop for it. Only draw back I can see is would need knotting but tying comb into frames is best done with an assistant anyway.

Thanks RT,
I`ll pop in my local knitting shop and have a look around, then i can go next door to the chemist to get some vaseline for my frame runners.
I really hope i don`t bump into my mates :laughing-smiley-014

These are big enough for standard BS frames. I've collected lots of them when walking the dog and I stick them in my Beek toolbox. I used them to put drawn comb from Langstroth frames into National frames. I spent an hour recently watching the bees chucking the remains of one of the elastic bands out through the entrance block.

Hi Sixfooter, are you thinking of the 'millions' of normal size ones that are left everywhere? They are about 3" in length when held flat. If you are then thay also have ones at least 3 times bigger, just you dont see them so often. I think they're used more by the parcel postpeople:.)

Bundles of 50 frame top bars from th***es come with an elastic band that is 6" in diameter and stretches to 16" quite comfortably - ask Gill where they get them from.

This is what they do to rubber bands

Randomshots014.jpg

John Wilkinson

Can't you just snip a few and tie them together to make a large one?
Will have a few knots but bees won't care.

Latest posts

Back