Large candle snapped

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minxpinx

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I’ve just had our local priest at the door. He’d just dropped the brand new paschal candle and it’s snapped in two! He’s asking if it can be repaired...
I’m guessing that the only thing to do is to recast it? It’s 3” in diameter and about 18” long - I’m thinking a length of pipe?
If anyone has any advice I’d really appreciate it.
It’d be a shame to replace it as it’s been blessed etc.

I’ve just had our local priest at the door. He’d just dropped the brand new paschal candle and it’s snapped in two! He’s asking if it can be repaired...
I’m guessing that the only thing to do is to recast it? It’s 3” in diameter and about 18” long - I’m thinking a length of pipe?
If anyone has any advice I’d really appreciate it.
It’d be a shame to replace it as it’s been blessed etc.
Hair drier on the break to soften the wax.... melt some candle wax and add to the break joint immediately squashing the two halves together and apply pressure. Once it is in place it's not going to be moved again so hopefully any weakness in the repair will not result in further mishap. If you are really worried about it insert a short bamboo skewer (sharpened both ends) vertically hidden in the join just to add to the rigidity.

They are very expensive and you are not going to get another one quickly at this time of the year - trying to recast it ? I would not even dream of doing it unless you have the knowledge and a correct mould for a candle that size. DIY repair has moire chance of success.

I've repaired smaller candles like this but a Pascal candle is big ...

I would be a bit worried about what happens when it gets down to the bamboo skewer. The bamboo will start burning as a second wick. You might want a fire extinguisher close by 😉

I would be a bit worried about what happens when it gets down to the bamboo skewer. The bamboo will start burning as a second wick. You might want a fire extinguisher close by 😉
Agreed!
I still haven’t decided what to do yet.
think I’ll attempt to glue it back with some wax shaved off the bottom first. If that fails I’ll try recasting it in a 3” pipe. I’ve been doing some research into it...

Agreed!
think I’ll attempt to glue it back with some wax shaved off the bottom first. If that fails I’ll try recasting it in a 3” pipe. I’ve been doing some research into it...
That should earn you a few indulgences? 😉😉

Agreed!
I presume the wick is broken too!

What was the final outcome in this project Minxpinx ?

What was the final outcome in this project Minxpinx ?
I shaved off some of the wax from the bottom of the candle and melted it. I then poured it into the crack and held it firmly in place for ages. I then used a hairdryer to soften the wax on the outside of the candle and smoothed it down to hide the break. It wasn’t perfect by any means, but it was back in one piece and everyone was happy.

I shaved off some of the wax from the bottom of the candle and melted it. I then poured it into the crack and held it firmly in place for ages. I then used a hairdryer to soften the wax on the outside of the candle and smoothed it down to hide the break. It wasn’t perfect by any means, but it was back in one piece and everyone was happy.
Good result .... well done. You could go into the Pascal candle repair business - nice little earner for next Easter !

Well done.
I was thinking about your post last Sunday whilst looking at the Easter candle in church.
🕯

Well done.
I was thinking about your post last Sunday whilst looking at the Easter candle in church.
🕯
Thanks - I’m glad I was able to fix it. I’m sure that there is a sermon in the story!

😂 quite a niche!
Yes ... but you would probably have the whole market to yourself and you are probably now the world expert ... stick your efforts on facebook and instagram and you'll be in every Parish Mag in the country before you can say Pascal cancle...

Yes ... but you would probably have the whole market to yourself and you are probably now the world expert ... stick your efforts on facebook and instagram and you'll be in every Parish Mag in the country before you can say Pascal cancle...
😂

Latest posts

Back