Langstrough Jumbo and Mod Dadant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steady on Doc, I dinna preach the technique I just say it is possible.

As for the extraction set up at Fast Buck, I most sincerely hope it is hugely improved as when I saw it there is no way it would now pass the rules and regs, I seem to remember a great deal of chipped and broken tiles in the tanks not to mention zinc paint being conspicuous.

As for a certain person doing an apprenticeship, I don't think it was actually completed, nor was it with the "great" BA.

PH

Yes I know. You dont have to do every frame, and yo can do a few. The first time I read about checker boarding I was confused because I coud not understand how you could stop swarming by checkerboarding honey in a box above a box already being crowded with honey. You have to break up the honey dome. This is what breaks the swarming impulse. It is what says to the bees, how can you swarm with all this space in the brood nest with no reserve above. I wont say for sure but I believe walt has mentioned in simpler terms about this method. He says drawn comb is best.

For one how many times have you had a colony swarm after you add a box and they ignore it and just crowd below? There is only one way walt could stop 20 colonies from swarming for 8 years, and open brood nest.

Last edited:
put simple langstroff is american and dadant is common to europe, dadant is also famous because of brov adam, he used them from the 1930 onwards, for some reason he went with another frame to make 12

Actually they are both American. L.L langstroth and C. Dadant both started experimenting with "eke" free beekeeping about the same time. Langstroth in Philidelphia Pennsylvania and Dadant in Hamilton Illinois. Dadant was still selling Dadant hives up until 20 years ago here, but phased them out because commercial beeks prefered the smaller, langstroth hive for weight reasons. I would argue that because of Adam and his Buckfasts, they are still popular in Europe.

checkerboarding

yesterday afternoon, when not being accused by demented Page & Moy package tour pensioners of attempting to blow up a Boing 737 mid-air, I had a read of the swarm control experiment on the bush farms website (http://www.bushfarms.com/beesexperiment.htm) - comparing opening brood with checkerboarding. very interesting and they even give you a blossom timetable so you perform the manipulations at exactly the right stage in the season.

Not one bit of smart car with me that time i'm afraid (winter tyres in a few weeks!!!!).

No - walked down the aisle in my shirt sleeves empty handed. Proceeded about business only to be rudely disturbed by hammering on door and "come out immediately" etc. etc.

Transpires that said lunatic had told the crew that I'd taken 4 bottles of water in with me!!!!!

yesterday afternoon, when not being accused by demented Page & Moy package tour pensioners of attempting to blow up a Boing 737 mid-air, I had a read of the swarm control experiment on the bush farms website (http://www.bushfarms.com/beesexperiment.htm) - comparing opening brood with checkerboarding. very interesting and they even give you a blossom timetable so you perform the manipulations at exactly the right stage in the season.

I wouldn't stick to their timins too much in the uk. In the south that would mean spreading the brood and adding foundation/empty frames in mid-feb- a little on the early side, methinks.

that's what's interesting - obviously local blooming calendar is dependent upon local conditions so since they provide detailed timings relative to various blooms it must be possible to extrapolate to local climate.

Latest posts

Back