Langstroth

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennycreed

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
8?
Hi all, would anybody know where I could get the plastic containers? frames? for the Langstroth hive, they are the type that the bees make a 4oz comb in, and you just pop out the comb when there full of honey and put the lid on it, no cutting just pop it out and put the lid on it,,excellent idea, It is made of the clear packaging type plastic and maybe five or six double sided frames to the super with five or six 4oz box sections on each side, but I don't know where to get them or what they are called,,cheers, and all the best to you all,,kenny

Sorry Kenny but they are not the best of ideas for Lewis.

Not even sure they are the best of ideas for the UK full stop.

Work well in southern USA mind you.

PH

I bought them from Thornes a few years ago in the sale... I don't think they sell them anymore. They are called bee-o-pac. They used to have a website.

For what it is worth I have tried to make them work every year and they never have and to get them to fit in the hive I had to botch them with tape and nail scissors as they did not fit my supers and i have got wooden and poly supers and the latter are bigger.

Mostly I would say they are rubbish.

Beeopac , swienty do them , I got some this year to try out but so far the bees have not done anything with them. They are on 2 hives over 6 weeks & nothing . This is my first year with bees so I may be doing something wrong, or the hive may not be strong enough for comb honey.
They are easy to put together & fit the poly langstroth hive perfectly ( a kind of a 3/4 box you can order the box with the beeopac) . The same hive has 20 langstroth frames almost full of honey. 2 weeks ago I moved them down the hive to see if the bees would start using them , no change at last weeks inspection, loads of bees in them but nothing started

Hay! snoop ta! What I was reading up was that you had to warm some wax and rub it all round the inside of the wee squares leaving a smear to give them the smell, they say that starts them off, It's nationals iv'e got but am making a couple of hives to fit the frames, to try, if I can get the frames, (like if we had eggs we could have bacon and eggs for breakfast if we had bacon),,,good! on you, thanks for that I'll try and hunt them up..cheers,,kenny

Yes, Bee-O-Pak. I've tried a super this year but no joy. Swienty say you don't need to coat the bottom of the trays with wax but you do. Even the manufacturers say so. Biggest problem I found was they come apart once they are even half full of honey due to weight pulling apart the poor fastenings. They are also not even the exact size for Dadant Shallow (6.25" Langstroth 3/4) which they are supposed to be. They are too deep and touch the queen excluder below if you are using one which you will need to after they have drawn them to stop the queen laying there. The bees then stick them to the QX and when you prize them off they start to come apart even more.

I am going to try some plastic sections I've found next year although even these are not quite the right size being Dadant Blatt. They fold into a rectangle and take a sheet of thin foundation.

Hi again snoop, I found it! but its in a bloody foregin language, the only words I can understand is rammer, whatever that is, and langstroth and plastik, do you know anywhere closer to home than that place that does them,,cheers from a confused kenny

I found it! but its in a bloody foregin language

Not surprising, that!

Did you select for the Enlish language option. Helps quite a bit!

RAB

where and how? am not very good with this machine, it's the daughter that shows me, she's away the now, we had a bit of a furoro last night, I kept pressing the mouse at the wrong time

Can't see your screen from here but there may well be a set of national flags somewhere on the home page. Click on the Union flag.

Regards, RAB

Thanks all for that. Got to go now the sun is shinning here,haven't seen it for three weeks, so am off to do a bit of worshiping before it go's away again

Did anybody have any sucess with these beeopacs. Mine did not draw them at all. Even with winter feeding , I am going into winter with 5 hives on double langstroth brood boxes , top one completely full of honey almost capped in all cases. Two hives surrendered 12 more partially full frames ( they were undrawn foundation 6 weeks ago) , I have put in the freezer. The beeopacs were not touched & one of them was on a double langstroth box that is over flowing with stores.

I melted wax on to the beeopac sections when they did not touch them, They still havn't touched them & they have been on the hives since July. Plently of propolis in & around them , plenty of bees in around them but nothing drawn out.

There must be something in them the bees don't like. I am totally puzzled.

Mine half filled a super of Bee O Pacs then the weather turned and they ate it all! However, I've kept the drawn comb in there and will try agan next year. Next year I am also going to try more conventional sections.

Back