• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

langstroth woodenware

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artibaton

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
does anyone have any langstroth woodenware, especially brood boxes for sale?

There is occasionally a seller on ebay who sells new Langstroths - from Europe I believe. You might like to look there sometimes.

maybe 5 or 7...so not a bulk order. i wonder if ill be better off just building them myself

Are you thinking Cedar or Pine ?

I have always found it is cheaper to buy in Cedar stuff rather than source the timber.

pine or ply probably, price is a big consideration at the mo. i have a fully equipped workshop to play with so tools are not a problem.

although i recognise the economics of cedar, i am stuffed if im buying at the prices around atm.

im hoping to hear from some tree surgeon friends in the near future..maybe a storm like 1987 would be useful.... only kidding im a tree hugger really;)

Thornes Januray sale soon.. they might have cheap pine langstroths (seconds)

I got the budget pine self assembly kit from Maisemore last year and it was fine. I painted the outside of the hive bodies as I wanted them to look white and pretty.

The only comment I can make is that some of the joints were a little bit tight and needed a little bit of tapping with a rubber mallet. Once together though they were fine. Im ordering another 6 brood bodies and 3 supers in February anyway, so they can't be bad!

Only problem I have found is that Maisemore dont supply Langstroth open mesh floors with the screen access from the back. I have to buy these from Thornes.

Hope you get what you need.

thanks mission i hadnt come across maisemore before they look interesting

I have to say I have been very happy with them. They are usually a little cheaper than Thornes and also have just as good service.

The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the floor that came with the hive kit. But it was only cheap so I through it to one side to use just for travelling.

If you want to have a look, there are free plans on the scottish beekeepers website fo download. i made my mod dadants from here.

alternatively, what about poly hives in Langstroth?

Mark

I have a quantity of Langstroth brood frames available?

If you buy suitable timber, biscuit joint to get the width required and then dovetail the sides: making a very cheap Langstroth is easy. ;)

PH

yup i have been busy building, i'm going to get my bees end of march early april so all prep is done.....i think

3 full langstroths built and 1 national....wont bother making another national way too much hassle

i have a vast oversupply of frames both langstroth and national...i blame beefever and the january sale and having taken a 3rd job to pay for it all;)

thanks for all the tips etc....now the fun starts

Latest posts

Back